Anusha will give complex to many directors: AamirJuly 2nd, 2010 - 9:28 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 2 (IANS) Actor-filmmaker Aamir Khan is so impressed with first-time director Anusha Rizvi, who wielded the megaphone for his forthcoming production “Peepli Live”, that he claims she will give complex to many established directors.
“Not only she has written a great script, I was shocked to see how beautifully she has made the film. It’s a very complicated story with many layers and bringing it to the celluloid was a very difficult job,” said Aamir.
“I was a bit apprehensive about how she has made the film, as it’s her first film. Hats off to her. She is really talented. She isn’t a trained filmmaker, neither she has been assistant to any director, yet she has done a marvellous job and I think she will give complex to many established directors,” he added.
He maintains Anusha, a former journalist, shows her experiences in narrating the story in “Peepli Live”.
“When I heard the story about four years ago, I realised she is highly talented. Being a journalist, you travel to different places, meet different people, so I think it’s her collection of experiences. And being a sensible person she has been able to form a story about a very sensitive issue India is facing. We are narrating the story in a very humorous way, but we are saying something very important,” said Aamir.
“Peepli Live” is a satire on the society. It revolves around two impoverished farmers Natha (Omkar Das Manikpuri) and Budhia (Raghubir Yadav) who live in a village called Peepli. They are about to lose their land due to debts. An incompetent politician suggests they commit suicide to get government help. The news spreads and media gets involved in it and they turn Natha into a celebrity.
“Anusha has written a fantastic script, but her approach is not negative. It’s satirical but not judgemental. She doesn’t try to point out what is right and what is wrong. She tries to show what is happening. Be it media, politics, administration or civil society, she is not deciding on what’s right or wrong. I think that’s a very positive attitude,” said Aamir.
“Peepli Live” is the fourth film from Aamir Khan Productions Ltd after “Lagaan: Once Upon A Time In India” (2001), “Taare Zameen Par”(2007) and “Jaane Tuâ¦Ya Jaane Na”(2008).
Asked if he was involved in the making of the film or otherwise, he said: “As a producer I don’t get involved in certain stages, one of them is shooting. I get involved in the preparation, I get involved in promotion and release planning. I also get involved in post-production to a certain extent.
“I don’t involve myself much because I trust the director and the reason I am working with this director is that I trust her. I would like the director to show what he or she feels through the film. That’s important to me.”
- Aamir turns drummer to promote 'Peepli Live' - Jul 14, 2010
- Aamir turns 'Indian Ocean' drummer to promote 'Peepli Live' (Lead) - Jul 14, 2010
- 'Peepli Live' is best first film at Durban film fest - Aug 03, 2010
- Delayed payment was my fault: Aamir - Jul 14, 2010
- Aamir promotes 'Peepli Live' by poking fun at himself - Jul 01, 2010
- Comparing 'Peepli Live' with Billy Wilder's film a compliment - Aug 14, 2010
- Movie Review - Peepli [Live] 2010 - Aug 13, 2010
- 'Dhobi Ghat' makes it official - Aamir Khan is different! - Jan 22, 2011
- Sonam prepared actor, Genelia spontaneous: Imran - Jun 28, 2010
- 'Peepli Live' - satire par excellence on rural India (IANS Movie Review - Ratings: ****) - Aug 13, 2010
- It was the year of newbies in Bollywood with 150 debuts (2010 in Retrospect) - Dec 27, 2010
- Anusha Rizvi Is A Publicity Seeker, Alleges Peepli Live Actor - Oct 29, 2010
- Aamir receives postcards from 500 villages named Peepli - Aug 11, 2010
- 'Peepli Live' will change nothing: Anusha Rizvi (Interview) - Aug 13, 2010
- Peepli Live is India's Official Entry to Oscars - Sep 24, 2010
Tags: aamir khan, budhia, celluloid, debts, different places, fantastic script, farmers, first time director, forthcoming production, journalist, marvellous job, media politics, megaphone, mumbai, politician, rizvi, satire, sensible person, sensitive issue, yadav