Anupam welcomed with drum beats and trumpetsMay 27th, 2009 - 3:11 pm ICT by IANS
By Subhash K. Jha
Mumbai, May 27 (IANS) It was a moment he won’t forget easily. When Anupam Kher reached Bhor on the outskirts of Mumbai to resume the shooting of Walt Disney production “Zokkomon”, 100 children along with the cast and crew of the film greeted him with drum beats and trumpets to celebrate his 25 years in cinema.
“Before I had left Bhor, I told the unit of ‘Zokkomon’ I was going to Mumbai to attend the premiere of ‘Saaransh’ to celebrate 25 years in cinema. I also taunted the unit, ‘You should receive me with a full musical band, no less, when I return’. Little did I expect them to take my words seriously,” Anupam told IANS.
“When I got back on Tuesday they had actually arranged a huge band from Pune to greet me. The minute I reached the location, the band started playing,” added the actor who was moved beyond words.
What followed made him burst into tears.
“All the kids in the film made me put on a party cap, cut a cake and sang congratulatory songs. You’ve no idea how much I wept. When I see such love showered on me I wonder if I’ve really done anything to deserve this.”
Anupam decided to relive his debut performance by holding a premiere of “Saaransh” Sunday 25 years after the film was released. He held the belated premiere at the Metro theatre, where the critically acclaimed film was first released.
And next day he signed a Woody Allen film in which he will play “Slumdog Millionaire” star Freida Pinto’s father.
- Anupam Gets a Band-Baaja Welcome In Bhor - May 27, 2009
- Darsheel impresses LA audiences with superhero act in 'Zokkomon' - Apr 25, 2011
- Anupam Kher signs Woody Allen movie - May 25, 2009
- Anupam Kher Hunts Down Theatre Legend Nilu Phule - May 23, 2009
- Anupam Kher to host Saaransh premiere 25 years after its release - May 24, 2009
- Anupam Kher hunts down Marathi stage veteran for 'Saaransh' premier - May 23, 2009
- It's the most difficult thing I have done: Anupam Kher - Apr 08, 2011
- Character actors are pillars of films: Anupam Kher - Aug 28, 2012
- I don't compare myself with Freida: Tena Desae (With image) - May 27, 2012
- Anupam Kher Signs A Woody Allen Movie - May 25, 2009
- I can never surpass my 'Saaransh' performance: Anupam Kher (Interview) - May 22, 2009
- Ramesh Sippy plans to direct again (Movie Snippets) - Apr 20, 2011
- SAARANSH premiers again - 25 saal baad - May 25, 2009
- Anupam pays 'smiling tribute' to late father in Shimla - May 03, 2012
- Poor special effects, lax plot mar kids film 'Zokkomon' (IANS Hindi Film Review, Rating: **) - Apr 23, 2011
Tags: anupam kher, cast and crew, cinema, debut performance, disney, freida, love, metro theatre, millionaire, mumbai, outskirts, pinto, pune, saaransh, subhash k jha, walt disney, walt disney production, woody allen, woody allen film