Anupam Kher to work for empowerment of Kashmiri PanditsApril 11th, 2009 - 7:05 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, April 11 (IANS) Bollywood actor Anupam Kher Saturday vowed to work for the empowerment of exiled Kashmiri Hindus and for their return to their homeland with “honour and dignity”.
Kher was speaking at a conference here to draw “global attention toward the burning issues confronting the Kashmiri Pandits”, who fled the Kashmir Valley in early 1990s as Muslim militancy peaked, at times targeting members of the community.
“My friends and relatives suffered and, therefore, as a member of the community, it is my duty to work for the community, take them back to the Valley with honour and dignity,” said Kher, himself a Kashmiri Pandit.
He said successive governments in Jammu and Kashmir “made so many promises, but delivered none. The solution to this is to gain power. The change and empowerment will come through power.”
“I am not joining politics. But working for the community is different,” he maintained.
The conference, organized by Kashmiri Pandit organistions, was attended, among others, by leading journalist and Rajya Sabha member Chandan Mitra.
Some 300,000 Hindus have fled the Valley and have been living in Jammu and other parts of the country.
- For Kashmiri Hindus and Muslims, Shivratri bridges a gap - Feb 20, 2012
- 3,000 more jobs for Kashmiri Pandits soon - Sep 13, 2011
- All-party team meets Shabir Shah, Kashmiri Pandits - Sep 21, 2010
- Kashmiri Pandits seek refugee status - Jun 19, 2010
- Kashmir panel meets migrants, activists - Jul 23, 2011
- All-party team meet Shabir Shah, Pandits in Jammu (Night Lead) - Sep 21, 2010
- Package for pandits irk migrants from Jammu hills - Jun 21, 2012
- Kashmiri Pandits pray for their brethrens' early return to valley on Diwali eve - Oct 17, 2009
- Kashmiri migrants protest, want free electricity - Sep 04, 2012
- Kashmir Pandits perform fire ritual in J and K after 700 years - Oct 03, 2009
- Hospital, schools to be set up for Kashmiri migrants - Jul 23, 2011
- Kashmiri Pandits' sense of security to be restored: Omar - Mar 22, 2011
- Less than 3,500 Pandits left in Kashmir valley - Mar 23, 2010
- Refugees in our own country: Kashmiri pandits - Jun 20, 2012
- Madhya Pradesh chief minister slams Kashmir autonomy report - Dec 27, 2009
Tags: anupam kher, chandan, dignity, early 1990s, empowerment, global attention, governments, hindus, honour, journalist, kashmir, kashmir valley, kashmiri pandits, militancy, muslim, promises, rajya sabha, relatives, sabha member