Anupam Kher signs Woody Allen movieMay 25th, 2009 - 2:11 pm ICT by IANS
By Subhash K. Jha
Mumbai, May 25 (IANS) Anupam Kher, who celebrated 25 years in films with a premiere of his film “Saaransh”, couldn’t have received a better silver-jubilee gift than a role in Hollywood’s ace filmmaker Woody Allen’s project. The veteran actor says it’s like a dream come true.
“First the amazing response to the screening of ‘Saaransh’ in the afternoon, then this piece of news. To be in a Woody Allen film is a dream come true for me,” Anupam told IANS.
On Sunday morning, Anupam’s international agent sent him the news that he’s part of the new Woody Allen film, to be shot in London later this year.
“Last year I worked with another international filmmaking legend Ang Lee. Now Woody Allen. What more could any actor ask for in his 25th year in the business?”
When asked about the ambit of his part in the film, he said: “You think I care? All I know is that I play Freida Pinto’s father in the Woody Allen film. Even if it is just one shot, I’d be delirious. I’ve grown up and grown older watching Woody Allen’s cinema. And look at my kismet (destiny).
“Do you know the film’s cast? The Woody Allen film features the mighty Anthony Hopkins, Nicole Kidman, Naomi Watts and Antonio Banderas. To be part of this vast cast is enough for me,” said Anupam.
Anupam decided to relive his debut performance by holding a premiere of “Saaransh” Sunday 25 years after the film was released. He held the belated premiere at the Metro theatre, where the critically acclaimed film was first released.
“Mahesh Bhatt saab who was present at the screening of ‘Saaransh’ on Sunday afternoon got on stage at the end of the screening and announced that I had received a Woody Allen film as gift for 25 years in films,” he said.
To share this glorious moment with Anupam at the screening of “Saaransh” was his brother Raju, wife Kirron and close friends from the industry including Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra, Dibakar Bannerjee, Neeraj Pandey and David Dhawan who had edited “Saaransh”.
“It was very moving experience,” said Anupam.
- Anupam Kher Signs A Woody Allen Movie - May 25, 2009
- Woody Allen finds filming in New York expensive - Aug 25, 2010
- Anupam Kher to host Saaransh premiere 25 years after its release - May 24, 2009
- Anupam Kher to share screen with Robert De Niro - Oct 20, 2011
- Anupam most romantic man, says wife Kirron Kher - Jan 04, 2012
- Woody might be old, but his creativity is much younger: Freida - Nov 29, 2010
- Bollywood finally sets stage for theatre veterans - Apr 21, 2012
- Character actors are pillars of films: Anupam Kher - Aug 28, 2012
- Anupam welcomed with drum beats and trumpets - May 27, 2009
- I'm going to 'Discover India' with Kirron on V-Day: Anupam - Feb 03, 2011
- Light-hearted comedies to entertain this weekend (IANS Preview) - Apr 09, 2012
- Omi Vadya hits jackpot with 'Big In Bollywood' (Movie Snippets) - Jul 29, 2012
- Antonio Banderas, Jessica Alba win best actor awards - Sep 13, 2011
- No retirement for now: Woody Allen - Jun 28, 2012
- Penelope Cruz to star in next Woody Allen film - Jun 21, 2011
Tags: ambit, ang lee, anthony hopkins, antonio banderas, anupam kher, david dhawan, debut performance, filmmaker woody, freida, glorious moment, metro theatre, naomi watts, nicole kidman, omprakash, silver jubilee, subhash k jha, veteran actor, woody allen, woody allen film, woody allen movie