Anupam Kher Quits Hitler After ProtestsJune 18th, 2010 - 2:33 pm ICT by Sampurn Wire
June 18, 2010 (Sampurn Wire): Just a few days ago, it was confirmed that the veteran actor Anupam Kher was playing the German dictator Adolf Hitler in a Bollywood film titled Dear Friend Hitler.
Anupam Kher, opted out of the project stating, “I wish to withdraw from the film because it is creating ill feelings among my fans and I respect their sentiments. I was never affected by commercial considerations but social opinions always matter to me.”
A small Jewish community in India has protested against the film, which led Kher to take this stand. The film has been facing criticism mainly from European media and not too much from the Indian press.
It is said that the film does not depict the usual anti-Hitler stance. In fact, speaking about the film, the director Rakesh Ranjan Kumar stated, “It will depict Hitler’s love for India and his indirect contribution to the Indian independence. I want to show his personality, his charisma and insecurities during the last few days of his life.”
Kher is now shooting for Mausam in Edinburgh, Scotland. Kher said that the critics have no idea about the script of the film, which do not glorify Hitler.
Echoing the same feeling, director Rakesh Ranjan Kumar said, “People protesting against the film, has taken it the wrong way.”
According to the chairman of the Indian Jewish Federation, Jonathan Solomon, “The filmmaker is hurting the feelings of the Jewish community who have suffered a lot.”
Hitler’s strong negative impact here reflects from a small incident in Mumbai back in 2006, when a small restaurant had to change its name from “Hitler’s Cross” to “Cross Cafe” following strong protests. After a year, a home furnishing maker in Mumbai also faced similar protests from the Jewish community, which named its products “NAZI’ and used the swastika in its promotional catalog.
– Sampurn Wire
- Anupam Kher quits 'Dear Friend Hitler' (Lead) - Jun 18, 2010
- Berlin cleared misconceptions about 'My Friend Hitler': Scriptwriter - Mar 05, 2011
- The Real Reason Why Anupam Kher Refused To Play Hitler - Jun 21, 2010
- A Bollywood first - film about Hitler and Nazi Germany (Lead) - Jun 08, 2010
- My name is being used for publicity: Anupam Kher - Jul 20, 2011
- Anupam quit Hitler movie at behest of two women - Jun 22, 2010
- A Bollywood first - film about Hitler and Nazi Germany - Jun 08, 2010
- What's in the name Hitler? - Sep 05, 2012
- Anupam Kher walks out of 'Dear Friend Hitler' - Jun 18, 2010
- Bollywood's Hitler biopic with Indian twist - Jun 09, 2010
- Film on Hitler to hit screens July 29 (With Images) - Jul 02, 2011
- Anupam Kher is Bollywood's Hitler - Jun 14, 2010
- History Revisited - Jun 07, 2010
- Nazi parade by Thai students triggers row - Sep 28, 2011
- Anupam approaches film body to resolve dispute - Jul 29, 2011
Tags: adolf hitler, anupam kher, bollywood film, charisma, commercial considerations, dear friend, edinburgh scotland, filmmaker, german dictator, home furnishing, ill feelings, indian independence, insecurities, jewish community, jewish federation, mausam, negative impact, protests, swastika, veteran actor