Anupam Kher Hunts Down Theatre Legend Nilu PhuleMay 23rd, 2009 - 3:57 pm ICT by Sampurn Wire
By Subhash K Jha
Remember Nilu Phule, the stage and film veteran Marathi actor who played the sleazy terrorizing politician in Mahesh Bhatt’s timeless classic on countering hooliganism Saaransh?
When the film’s leading man Anupam Kher on completing 25 years in films decided to hold a belated premiere of the film on May 25 at the very theatre (Metro) where it was first released, he decided to regroup the entire cast and crew of Saaransh.
From director Mahesh Bhatt to producer Raj Kumar Barjatya to the film’s romantic lead Mohan Joshi and Soni Razdan(director Bhatt’s wife) to music composer Ajit Varman(the musical genius now lives in anonymity in Andheri)…they all jumped at the idea of reliving what’s unarguably the single-most important event in their life.
Only Nilu Phule, an important theatre and film actor active from 1956, was untraceable.
There began Anupam’s hunt for the missing actor. “There was no way I’d relive Saaransh which today is more relevant as a work of cinema than ever before, without one of its important actors. No one seemed to know where Nilu Phule was.I finally got an address for him in Pune.I drove down personally to the address. But Nilu didn’t live there any more.My hunt began all over again.”
Phule was finally tracked him down to another location in Pune.
Says Anupam emotionally, “It was a glorious revisitation. We both could barely hold back our tears.Unfortunately Nilu’s health does not permit him to make that journey from Pune to Mumbai. He was ready to come. But his doctor advised him against it. We’ll miss Nilu at the premiere.”
Anupam has invited his close friends from within and outside the film industry for the premiere of Saaransh on Sunday. “Naresh Goel and Yash Chopra will be there. But Subhash Ghai can’t attend because he’s in Cannes. I even invited singer Kavita Krishnamurthy who sang an evocative song in Saaransh . But she’s in Poland.”
The actor has also commissioned a half-hour documentary on Saaransh.
“To me Saaransh is the sum-total of my entire career. It voices all the concerns that I hold precious. If I’m even 20 percent of the humanbeing that my character B.B. Pradhan was, I’ve achieved enough in life.”
- Anupam Kher hunts down Marathi stage veteran for 'Saaransh' premier - May 23, 2009
- SAARANSH premiers again - 25 saal baad - May 25, 2009
- Anupam Kher to host Saaransh premiere 25 years after its release - May 24, 2009
- Anupam Kher signs Woody Allen movie - May 25, 2009
- Marathi actor Nilu Phule passes away - Jul 13, 2009
- Anupam Kher to share screen with Robert De Niro - Oct 20, 2011
- Anupam welcomed with drum beats and trumpets - May 27, 2009
- I've said goodbye to direction: Mahesh Bhatt (Interview) - Apr 22, 2012
- Ambika Soni condoles demise of Marathi actor Neelu Phule - Jul 13, 2009
- Veteran Marathi actor Nilu Phule dead - Jul 14, 2009
- Sunny never asked to star opposite Rahul: Mahesh - Nov 29, 2011
- Anupam Kher Signs A Woody Allen Movie - May 25, 2009
- Character actors are pillars of films: Anupam Kher - Aug 28, 2012
- Mahesh Bhatt launches online title hunt - Jul 17, 2011
- Piggy Chops remembers Whitney Houston (Movie Snippets) - Feb 16, 2012
Tags: ajit, andheri, anupam kher, film actor, goel, hooliganism, kavita krishnamurthy, leading man, mahesh bhatt, mohan joshi, music composer, musical genius, naresh, nilu, phule, saaransh, soni razdan, timeless classic, varman, yash chopra