Anupam Kher hunts down Marathi stage veteran for ‘Saaransh’ premierMay 23rd, 2009 - 6:19 pm ICT by IANS
By Subhash K. Jha
Mumbai, May 23 (IANS) Bollywood actor Anupam Kher has decided to relive his debut performance by holding a premier of “Saaransh” Sunday 25 years after the film was released. He is reuniting the entire cast but Marathi theatre legend Nilu Phule was untraceable for long.
Kher will hold the belated premiere at the Metro theatre, where the critically acclaimed film was first released.
Director Mahesh Bhatt, producer Raj Kumar Barjatya, film’s romantic lead Mohan Joshi and Soni Razdan (Bhatt’s wife) and music composer Ajit Varman, who now lives in anonymity in Andheri, all jumped at the idea of reliving what was unarguably the single-most important event in their lives. But Nilu Phule, who played the sleazy terrorizing politician, was missing.
“There was no way I’d relive ‘Saaransh’, which today is more relevant as a work of cinema than ever before, without one of its important actors. No one seemed to know where Nilu Phule was. I finally got an address for him in Pune. I drove down personally to the address. But Nilu didn’t live there any more. My hunt began all over again,” Anupam told IANS.
Nilu Phule was finally tracked down to another location in Pune.
Says Anupam emotionally: “It was a glorious revisitation. We both could barely hold back our tears. Unfortunately Nilu’s health does not permit him to make that journey from Pune to Mumbai. He was ready to come. But his doctor advised him against it. We’ll miss Nilu at the premiere.”
Anupam has invited his close friends from within and outside the film industry for the premiere.
“Naresh Goel and Yash Chopra will be there. But Subhash Ghai can’t attend because he’s in Cannes. I even invited singer Kavita Krishnamurthy who sang an evocative song in ‘Saaransh’. But she’s in Poland.”
The actor has also commissioned a half-hour documentary on the film.
“To me ‘Saaransh’ is the sum-total of my entire career. It voices all the concerns that I hold precious. If I’m even 20 percent of the human being that my character B.B. Pradhan was, I’ve achieved enough in life.”
- Anupam Kher Hunts Down Theatre Legend Nilu Phule - May 23, 2009
- Anupam Kher to host Saaransh premiere 25 years after its release - May 24, 2009
- SAARANSH premiers again - 25 saal baad - May 25, 2009
- Character actors are pillars of films: Anupam Kher - Aug 28, 2012
- Anupam Kher signs Woody Allen movie - May 25, 2009
- Anupam welcomed with drum beats and trumpets - May 27, 2009
- Anupam Kher to share screen with Robert De Niro - Oct 20, 2011
- Marathi actor Nilu Phule passes away - Jul 13, 2009
- Anupam pays 'smiling tribute' to late father in Shimla - May 03, 2012
- Bollywood finally sets stage for theatre veterans - Apr 21, 2012
- I can never surpass my 'Saaransh' performance: Anupam Kher (Interview) - May 22, 2009
- Anupam Kher Signs A Woody Allen Movie - May 25, 2009
- Ambika Soni condoles demise of Marathi actor Neelu Phule - Jul 13, 2009
- Anupam plans theatre fest in Shimla, says it is payback time - Aug 06, 2012
- 'Chhodo Kal Ki Baatein' - moral lesson about life (IANS Movie Review) - Apr 14, 2012
Tags: ajit, andheri, anupam kher, debut performance, film industry, goel, important event, kavita krishnamurthy, marathi theatre, metro theatre, mohan joshi, music composer, nilu, phule, saaransh, soni razdan, subhash k jha, sum total, varman, yash chopra