Anti-whaling ship named after late Crocodile Hunter Steve IrwinDecember 5th, 2007 - 1:43 pm ICT by admin
Melbourne, Dec 5 (ANI): An anti-whaling ship has been christened after late animal-conservationist Steve Irwin.
The ship, named the Steve Irwin, is going to work intercepting Japanese whalers in the Southern Ocean as part of a two-month 500,000-dollar campaign protest campaign dubbed Operation Migaloo after an endangered albino humpback.
The late Crocodile Hunters widow Terri gave the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society her permission to name the vessel after her husband.
Previously named Robert Hunter, the vessel has a total crew of 52 members.
Terri Irwin, who was present when the new name was unveiled, said the conservation of whales had always been one of her husband’s passions.
“Whales have always been in Steve’s heart and in 2006 he was investigating the possibility of joining the Sea Shepherd on part of its journey to defend these beautiful animals,” News.com.au quoted her, as saying.
Paul Wilson, Sea Shepherd president said that the Irwin family support would give the operation a huge boost as it battled to stop Japanese whalers from targeting endangered humpback and fin whales along with 935 minke whales in the Southern Ocean whale sanctuary.
“Steve Irwin’s life demonstrated how one person can make a significant difference in the world,” he said.
“Steve wanted to come to Antarctica with us to to defend the whales, and now he will be joining us in spirit with his name emblazoned on the fastest and most powerful ship in the world.” (ANI)
- Activists' boat damaged in clash with Japanese whalers - Jan 06, 2010
- "Whale Wars" On Television For The Third Season - May 29, 2010
- Japan suspends whale hunt - Feb 17, 2011
- "Whale Wars" Joined By EarthRace - Oct 29, 2009
- Close call for Sea Shepherd on Whale Wars - Jun 19, 2010
- Whales waylay Australia, Japan relation - Feb 20, 2010
- Whales distressed by noise of ships' propellers - Feb 09, 2012
- Paul Watson skips bail in Germany - Jul 26, 2012
- Clash Between Whalers And Activists Raises Controversy - Feb 19, 2010
- Antarctic minke whales not increased due to hunting of other larger whales - Jan 18, 2010
- 188-yr-old 'Two Brothers' ship linked to 'Moby-Dick' discovered - Feb 12, 2011
- Slash launches wildlife charity - Aug 24, 2012
- Largest genetic study of humpback whale populations conducted in Southern Hemisphere - Oct 14, 2009
- Like humans, whales 'shout louder' to overcome noise - Jul 07, 2010
- Dolphins, marine mammals hunted for human consumption - Jan 25, 2012
Tags: conservation, crocodile hunter, crocodile hunters, dollar campaign, irwin family, japanese whalers, minke whales, passions, sea shepherd, southern ocean whale, steve irwin, terri irwin, whale sanctuary, whaling ship, world humpback