Anti-smoking campaigners rally against Johnny Depp’s RangoMarch 12th, 2011 - 4:52 pm ICT by ANI
London, Mar 12 (ANI): Actor Johnny Depp has become the target of anti-smoking campaigners, who are rallying against him over his animated movie Rango, which features characters who smoke.
The movie, which has been branded a health hazard, features the voices of Depp, 47, actress Isla Fisher, 35, and actor Bill Nighy, 61.
It is about a group of chameleons searching for water that has been stolen from a town called Dirt.
According to Kori Titus, CEO of non-profit organisation Breathe California, throughout the film “at least 60 instances of characters smoking” have been counted.
Anti-smoking activists are now claiming the images of animated lizards and birds puffing on cigarettes pose a risk to children, who they claim will want to take up the habit after seeing the footage.
“A lot of kids are going to start smoking because of this movie,” the Daily Express quoted Stanton Glantz, director of the Center for Tobacco Control Research and Education at the University of California-San Francisco, as saying.
According to the Sydney Morning Herald, campaigners now want movie chiefs to add a Surgeon General’s warning to the project.
A spokesperson for movie studio Paramount, Virginia Lam, insists they never meant to condone smoking and they ensured the main character isn’t seen puffing away.
“The images of smoking in the film… are portrayed by supporting characters and are not intended to be celebrated or emulated,” she told USA Today. (ANI)
- 'Rango' named best animated feature film at Oscars - Feb 27, 2012
- Depp's 'Rango' to receive Hollywood Animation Award - Sep 08, 2011
- 'Rango': A rare, original animation film (IANS Film Review) - Apr 16, 2011
- Tobacco firm underplayed dangers of smoking - Jan 09, 2012
- Isla Fisher on why she didn't kiss Johnny Depp - Feb 21, 2011
- Bill Nighy had turned down the role of Doctor Who - Jun 05, 2012
- Depp reveals what he would like to do before he quits acting - Feb 22, 2011
- 'Heroine' makers move court on smoking scene rider - Aug 27, 2012
- Bieber lands at Johnny Depp's new movie press launch - Feb 15, 2011
- Scary pictures not to dissuade Russian smokers: Poll - May 13, 2012
- Beijing airport China's first to ban smoking - Jun 02, 2011
- 'Heroine' makers move court on smoking scene rider (Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
- Chinese 'herbal' cigarettes no safer than regular ones - Dec 04, 2009
- 'The Artist', 'Hugo' in tie with five Oscars each (Roundup) - Feb 27, 2012
- Kate Moss turns to hypnotherapy to quit smoking - Mar 11, 2011
Tags: actor bill nighy, actor johnny depp, bill nighy, california san francisco, campaigners, chameleons, daily express, health hazard, isla fisher, johnny depp, kori, lizards, profit organisation, rango, stanton glantz, sydney morning herald, target, tobacco control research, university of california san francisco, usa today