Annie Lennox lashes out at Pope Benedict’s AIDS adviceMay 2nd, 2009 - 3:11 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, May 2 (ANI): Scottish singer Annie Lennox has blasted Pope Benedict for his advice on AIDS prevention in Africa.
Lennox, 54, who devotes her life to charity work to raise awareness of HIV/AIDS in Africa, was infuriated with the Pope’s comment that condoms would not stop the disease spreading - and may increase the problem.
“If there was ever an example of irresponsibility, it’s the Pope going to a country like Angola, where people are dying left, right and centre because of unprotected sex, and telling them they should carry on or that they should abstain. What planet is this person on?” the Herald Sun quoted her as saying.
“It’s an illustration of the madness that goes on in this world. I have nothing against the Catholic Church or any religion. I respect everyone’s entitlement to pursue whatever spiritual value they like, but it’s a missed opportunity.
“He managed to set things back for people. It was criminal, really.
“It’s the highest irresponsibility for anyone to put that message out. It’s undone the good work people have been trying to do in terms of safe sex practices and education. What a mess,” she added.
Lennox’s SING project - raising money to prevent the spread of HIV in Africa - provides balance for what the singer calls the “deeply superficial” world of fame. (ANI)
- Bruni praises Pope over condoms comment to mark World AIDS Day - Dec 02, 2010
- CSD500: Erection inducing condoms developed - May 10, 2011
- Pope Says Use Of Condoms Justified In Some Cases - Nov 21, 2010
- Annie Lennox to join Scottish delegation in Malawi Aids crusade - Jan 18, 2011
- Gaga to raise money for AIDS victims - Aug 31, 2011
- Annie Lennox's New Album 'Christmas Cornucopia' Releases - Nov 17, 2010
- Annie Lennox's HIV positive t-shirt - Apr 23, 2010
- Pope says condom use acceptable 'in certain cases' - Nov 21, 2010
- A new gel may prevent the HIV/AIDS infection in women - Jul 20, 2010
- Pope's stance on condoms 'not revolutionary', says Vatican - Nov 22, 2010
- IAS urges Pope to strongly support condom use - Nov 24, 2010
- Annie Lennox, eldest daughter to go on Malawi mission - Feb 12, 2011
- HIV spreading among China's elderly: 80-year-old infected - Aug 06, 2011
- Gaga wears 'latex condom inspired outfit' on 'GMA' to promote 'safe sex' - Feb 18, 2011
- China to have 1.2m HIV-positive people by the end of 2015 - Dec 04, 2010
Tags: aids in africa, aids prevention, annie lennox, catholic church, charity work, condoms, herald sun, hiv aids in africa, irresponsibility, lashes, madness, pope benedict, raising money, safe sex, scottish singer, sex practices, spiritual value, spread of hiv, superficial world, unprotected sex