Annie Lennox and Alexei Sayle call for ceasefire in GazaJanuary 3rd, 2009 - 6:14 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jan 3 (ANI): In a bid to put an end to Israel’’s bombing of the Gaza Strip, Scottish singer Annie Lennox and English stand-up comedian Alexei Sayle have joined high-profile campaigners in voicing their concerns.
During a news conference in London, Lennox said that TV footage of the attacks, which have taken the lives of more than 400 innocent people, left her shaken.
A few days after Christmas I came downstairs, put the television on and saw smoke pyres emanating from buildings and it shook me to the core, the BBC quoted her as saying.
I was thinking, as a mother and as a human being, how was this going to be a solution to peace?
It’’s a question of human rights, human values that goes beyond Jewish, Muslim, nothing to do with any of that. There has to be a place ultimately where people come to the table, she added.
Sayle also condemned the Israeli bombing strongly.
He also said Israel has an idea it was being noble but was using the psychology of the murderer to explain the attacks.
At least 13,000 people have been forced to leave their homes in Gaza since the attacks started, according to Save the Children. (ANI)
- One killed after Israeli air strikes hit the Gaza Strip in response to rocket fire - Aug 17, 2011
- Annie Lennox, eldest daughter to go on Malawi mission - Feb 12, 2011
- Israeli air strike kills one Palestinian in Gaza - Jan 12, 2011
- Annie Lennox to join Scottish delegation in Malawi Aids crusade - Jan 18, 2011
- Israeli planes attack Hamas sites in Gaza - Feb 26, 2011
- Militants linked to al Qaeda fire mortar rounds at Israel - Nov 21, 2010
- Actor Moyer enjoyed London riots news coverage - Aug 14, 2011
- Annie Lennox: I''''m not anti-Israeli - Jan 09, 2009
- Israeli Navy intercepts Gaza-bound ship - Jul 13, 2010
- Publisher regrets suggesting Obama assassination - Jan 22, 2012
- Israeli government the problem, not the people: Turkish PM - Oct 03, 2011
- Blair guards bought rocket launchers for Gaza trip - Dec 04, 2010
- Israel bombs three Gaza tunnels - Sep 30, 2009
- Palestinian militants fire rocket into Israel - Sep 04, 2010
- Jewish group condemns pro-Palestinian activists for causing tragic violence - Jun 01, 2010
Tags: alexei sayle, annie lennox, bbc, campaigners, ceasefire, christmas, comedian, few days, gaza strip, human rights, human values, israel, london jan, murderer, muslim, news conference, peace, psychology, scottish singer, tv footage