Ann Kirsten Kennis Files $2 Million Lawsuit Against “Vampire Weekend”July 22nd, 2010 - 7:36 pm ICT by GD
By Madhuri Dey
July 22, (THAINDIAN NEWS) “Vampire Weekend”, the American indie rock band from New York City, has landed up in trouble not due to the music or the content of its songs but due to the album cover of its latest release “Contra”. A former model Ann Kirsten Kennis has filed a $2 million lawsuit against the band, the record label, and the photographer who had sold the photograph that appears in the album cover of “Contra”. Ann Kirsten Kennis has claimed in her lawsuit that she had never authorized the use of the photograph that appears in the album cover.
Ann Kirsten Kennis is seen wearing a yellow Polo-monogrammed shirt and standing against a bare wall in the album cover. The former model’s lawyer, Alan Neigher had alleged that his client came to know about the use of her photograph only when her daughter came home one day with the album. Ann Kirsten Kennis had maintained that the photograph in question was not a modeling picture taken for commercial purpose but a casual photograph taken by her mother on a Polaroid camera. Alan Neigher added that his client does not have any idea how the photograph got into the hands of the photographers who had sold it to “Vampire Weekend”.
However, the record label for “Vampire Weekend” on their part have maintained that they have done nothing wrong in using the photograph of Ann Kirsten Kennis in the cover of “Contra”. The record label had mentioned in an e-mail to a reputed media source that both “Vampire Weekend” and XL Recordings have licensed the rights of using the photograph on the cover of the album and that they are looking forward to sort out the matter in the Court.
- 'Contra' Cover Girl Ann Kirsten Kennis Files Lawsuit Against Band - Jul 17, 2010
- Vampire Weekend: Can They Trace Tod Brody To Solve The Legal Mess? - Dec 02, 2010
- "Vampire Weekend" To Perform On Jan 21 - Jan 21, 2010
- Gaga designs Polaroid printer - Sep 16, 2011
- Stone Roses to announce their reunion - Oct 17, 2011
- Amy Winehouse's new album to be released in December - Oct 31, 2011
- Adele's '21' world's biggest-selling album - May 16, 2012
- Lindsay Lohan hit with fashion line lawsuit - May 03, 2010
- Did Ali Lohan undergo plastic surgery? - Sep 09, 2011
- John Lennon's 'Imagine' microphones up for grabs - Apr 30, 2011
- RHCP to sue British pop star for plagiarism - Oct 18, 2010
- Lady Gaga performs at the IHeartRadio music festival - Sep 26, 2011
- 'Boxset' To Be Released By YES - Sep 07, 2010
- Kristen Stewart sports a bikini for a magazine cover - Oct 04, 2011
- Adam Levine, girlfriend split - Apr 03, 2012
Tags: american indie rock band, commercial purpose, dey, e mail, former model, indie rock band, kennis, kirsten, lawyer, madhuri, media source, music, new york city, photograph, photographer, photographers, polaroid camera, record label, xl recordings, yellow polo