Animals beat the heat by cold drinks in Lucknow zooApril 26th, 2008 - 2:52 pm ICT by admin
By Kamna Mathur
Lucknow, Apr 26 (ANI): Fruit juices and cucumbers helped a chimpanzee to beat the summer heat in a Lucknow zoo.
The most striking incident happened when the chimpanzee drank fruit juice off its caretaker’s hands and did not leave the glass till the content was over.
Alarmed by the soaring mercury, the zoo authorities are serving the cold drinks to the animals.
Several measures have been taken to provide every possible comfort to the animals. The zoo has deployed a team of veterinarians and vitamins and electrolytes are being added to the food and drinking water to prevent dehydration, said an official.
“See, the temperatures are rising and it isn’t only humans who are feeling the heat. Even the animals are a troubled lot. So, not only the drink but other arrangements have also been made in our zoo to make the animals feel comfortable,” said Renu Singh, Lucknow zoo Director.
She added, sprinklers have been installed in all the enclosures and the animals have been put on a nutritious diet comprising seasonal fruits like watermelon and mangoes along with cucumbers. (ANI)
- Coolers, sheds, mangos...beating summer blues at Delhi Zoo - May 09, 2012
- Coolers, sprinklers, glucose to help Delhi Zoo beat heat - May 05, 2011
- Orissa zoo launches special summer menu for animals - May 16, 2011
- Eat light, healthy food to stay cool this summer: Doctors - May 17, 2012
- Chimpanzee asks people to free him at Wales Zoo - Aug 03, 2012
- Now, coolers, glucose and vitamins for Patna Zoo inmates - Apr 19, 2010
- Coolers help zoo animals beat heat - Mar 19, 2010
- Nariyal pani, kanchas, kakris...Hot Delhi chills by roadside - Apr 19, 2010
- Animals fed ice-cream in Coimbatore Zoo to beat the heat - Apr 09, 2010
- Ape injures girl after escaping from zoo - Jul 16, 2012
- 10 quintessential cocktails for all occasions! - Jun 20, 2012
- Silver Pheasant's sex change stuns zoo - Apr 05, 2012
- Wolves kill zoo keeper at Swedish zoo - Jun 18, 2012
- Avoid juice of cucumber family vegetables: Experts - Jul 12, 2010
- Zoo seeks match for female zebras - Mar 01, 2012
Tags: caretaker, chimpanzee, cold drinks, cucumbers, dehydration, drinking water, electrolytes, fruit juice, fruit juices, mangoes, mercury, nutritious diet, renu, seasonal fruits, sprinklers, summer heat, veterinarians, vitamins, watermelon, zoo director