Anil Kapoor trying to get ‘24′ to IndiaJanuary 23rd, 2010 - 9:30 am ICT by IANS
By Subhash K. Jha
Mumbai, Jan 23 (IANS) Anil Kapoor, who has got rave reviews in the American press for his stint on the just-premiered drama series “24″, was so self-effacing that he couldn’t ask the producers to let him show the first four episodes to his family back home.
When Anil left for Los Angeles last week, he had promised his family in Mumbai that he would bring back four episodes of ‘24′ which premiered in New York. But he came back to Mumbai empty-handed.
“I had promised them. And I’m sure Fox would’ve given the episodes to me. In fact, they gave the first four episodes to every journalist beforehand with a secrecy clause. So I could’ve easily asked because my daughters Sonam and Rhea and my brother Sanjay were all keen to see my television debut. But I just couldn’t ask. I was too shy. Can you believe it?”
And now the only way Sonam and the rest of the family gets to see Anil’s debut on “24″ is if they download the episodes.
“I believe the episodes can be downloaded. Also ‘24′ is telecast on our channel AXN. But a few months late. I think episodes featuring me would be telecast much sooner,” Anil told IANS.
The actor, in fact, is making efforts to bring the series to Indian viewers simultaneously with the rest of the world.
Anil is very happy with the way his television debut was received.
“It was overwhelming. I had made sure that the Indian media was also invited on the red carpet. The impact of my appearance on ‘24′ is yet to be gauged. But I guess the show will add Asian eyeballs to the already-popular series.
“See, you’ve to understand television in the US is not the same thing as television in India. There’re big stars on American television who actually refuse to do movies,” he said.
He was invited on the prestigious “Today Show” as well.
“You see, ‘24′ is a series by Fox. And the ‘Today Show’ is on a rival channel NBC. No actor from a Fox show is ever invited on the ‘Today Show’. I guess I was an exception because after ‘Slumdog Millionaire’ I’m seen to represent the Indian diaspora in the West. It’s a humbling place to be in,” he said.
The American press is going ga-ga over Anil.
“The most promising this season is Omar Hassan (Anil Kapoor), president of the Islamic Republic of Kamistan, who is negotiating a peace treaty with US president Allison Taylor (Cherry Jones). He’s regal and decent,” wrote the Los Angeles Times.
Entertainment Weekly said: “The dapper Hassan …played by the wonderful Anil Kapoor, who really should go by the name of Fantastic Sam because of his incredible head of hair…”
Back home, Anil is now committed to doing films here.
“I’ve a commitment with Ashtavinayak for two films. Indra Kumar and Apoorva Lakhia are working on two ideas which I really like. I may do one or both depending on how the projects scripts shape up. But before that I’ve two films ‘No Problem’ and ‘Aisha’ to release as a producer. I need to concentrate on that.”
When asked how he manages to remain so thin at his age, Anil said: “A-ha! I was always lean and thin, much before it became fashionable. The secret formula is healthy living, positive thinking, no late nights and plenty of work.”
- Anil Kapoor outstages his '24'co-stars, gets rave reviews - Jan 22, 2010
- Anil Kapoor to remake US TV series '24' - Nov 10, 2011
- '24' bigger than my biggest work in India: Anil Kapoor (Interview) (With Images) - Aug 23, 2010
- Anil Kapoor makes American TV debut Sunday - Jan 16, 2010
- B-town wishes love, luck for Sonam's birthday - Jun 09, 2012
- Tom Cruise and Anil Kapoor have been bonding 'big time' - Dec 10, 2011
- Anil Kapoor And Naomi Campbell Meet And Exchange Numbers - Jul 20, 2010
- Where's Anil Kapoor in 'Mission Impossible 4' trailer, ask fans - Jul 01, 2011
- Ira Dubey Gets A Protective Hand From Anil Kapoor - Aug 17, 2010
- Love for my work keeps me going: Anil Kapoor (Interview) - Jul 26, 2010
- Proud to co-star with Anil Kapoor: Ronit Roy - Dec 23, 2011
- Anil Kapoor's father Surinder passes away - Sep 24, 2011
- I've always found women superior: Anil Kapoor (Interview) - Jul 06, 2010
- Shah Rukh feels Roman love (Movie Snippets) - Nov 02, 2010
- Anil Kapoor's American series premieres Jan 14 - Jan 05, 2010
Tags: american television, anil kapoor, axn, drama series, eyeballs, indian viewers, journalist, keen, mumbai, nbc, producers, red carpet, rest of the world, rhea, sanjay, secrecy, sonam, stint, subhash k jha, television debut