Anil Kapoor outstages his ‘24′co-stars, gets rave reviewsJanuary 22nd, 2010 - 1:35 pm ICT by Sampurn Wire
Subhash K Jha
The American press has gone ga-ga over Anil Kapoor. Writes the Los Angeles Times, “The most promising (actor) this season is Omar Hassan (Anil Kapoor), president of the Islamic Republic of Kamistan, who is negotiating a peace treaty with U.S. President Allison Taylor (Cherry Jones). He’s regal and decent.”
Says the Entertainment Weekly, “The dapper Hassan …played by the wonderful Anil Kapoor, who really should go by the name of Fantastic Sam because of his incredible head of hair…”
And the Hollywood Reporter just can’t get enough of our Kapoor. “The best addition (to this season’s episodes) is Anil Kapoor, best known stateside for his role as the “Who Wants to Be a Millionaire’ host in Slumdog Millionaire.” He plays an idealized version a Middle East leader with an Elvis-quality pompadour on the verge of signing a historic peace agreement. It’s a painfully standard “24′ part, yet he owns each scene he’s in.”
Anil Kapoor is known to be such a thorough professional .So why are his co-stars in his just-premiered American series 24 upset with him?
Anil, you see, got invited on the prestigious Today Show where none of the 24 actors, not even Keifer Sutherland, has ever been invited.
Explains Anil, “You see, 24 is series by Fox. And the Today Show is on a rival channel NBC. No actor from a Fox show is every invited on the Today Show. I guess I was an exception because after Slumdog Millionaire I’m seen to represent the Indian diaspora in the West. It’s a humbling place to be in.”
And Anil is trying hard to be humble.
When Anil Kapoor left for LA last week he had promised his family in Mumbai that he would bring back four episodes of 24 which premiered in New York.
But he came back empty-handed.
Laughs Anil in embarrassment, “I had promised them. And I’m sure Fox would’ve given the episodes to me. In fact, they gave the first four episodes to every journalist beforehand with a secrecy clause. So, I could’ve easily asked because my daughters Sonam and Rhea and my brother Sanjay were all keen to see my television debut. But I just couldn’t ask. I was too shy. Can you believe it?”
And now the only way Sonam and the rest of the family gets to see Anil Kapoor’s debut on 24 is if they download the episodes.
Says Anil, “I believe the episodes can be downloaded. Also 24 are telecast on our channel AXN. But a few months late. I think episodes featuring me would be telecast much sooner.”
Anil, in fact, is making efforts to bring the series to Indian viewers simultaneously with the rest of the world.
Anil is very happy with the way his television debut was received. “It was overwhelming. I had made sure that the Indian media was also invited on the red carpet. The impact of my appearance on 24 is yet to be gauged. But I guess the show will add Asian eyeballs to the already-popular series. See, you’ve to understand television in the US is not the same thing as television in India. There’re big stars on American television that actually refuse to do movies.”
Anil is now committed to do a film or two in India. “I’ve a commitment with Astavinayak for two films. Indra Kumar and Apoorva Lakhia are working on two ideas which I really like. I may do one, or both depending on how the projects scripts shape up. But before that I’ve two films No Problem and Aisha to release as a producer . I need to concentrate on that.”
As a parting shot I ask Anil how he manages to remain so thin at his age. “A-ha! I was always lean and thin, much before it became fashionable. The secret formula is healthy living positive thinking, no late nights and plenty of work.”
- Anil Kapoor trying to get '24' to India - Jan 23, 2010
- '24' bigger than my biggest work in India: Anil Kapoor (Interview) (With Images) - Aug 23, 2010
- Anil Kapoor And Naomi Campbell Meet And Exchange Numbers - Jul 20, 2010
- Anil Kapoor to remake US TV series '24' - Nov 10, 2011
- Anil Kapoor makes American TV debut Sunday - Jan 16, 2010
- Proud to co-star with Anil Kapoor: Ronit Roy - Dec 23, 2011
- Anil Kapoor revisits 'My name is Lakhan' for small screen - Aug 13, 2011
- Love for my work keeps me going: Anil Kapoor (Interview) - Jul 26, 2010
- Where's Anil Kapoor in 'Mission Impossible 4' trailer, ask fans - Jul 01, 2011
- I've always found women superior: Anil Kapoor (Interview) - Jul 06, 2010
- Thanks to Hollywood, it's yesterday once more for Anil - Nov 10, 2011
- Anil Kapoor's American series premieres Jan 14 - Jan 05, 2010
- Sonam invited to Salvatore Ferragamo headquarter - Feb 16, 2012
- Anil Kapoor thrilled about BAFTA - Feb 08, 2012
- Anil Kapoor to star in 'Mission Impossible 4' - Oct 09, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,