‘Angels & Demons’ rakes in Rs.19 mn in India over 1st weekendJune 1st, 2009 - 9:56 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 1 (IANS) Tom Hanks-starrer “Angels and Demons”, which released in India Friday mostly across single-screens has grossed around Rs.19 million in its first weekend.
The movie that has already gained the top spot at the US box office released in India with 133 prints across 135 screens in four languages - English, Hindi, Tamil and Telugu - mainly in single-screens across the country.
“We are very happy to have done very well and see audiences coming back to cinemas in a big way. We have had around 80-100 percent occupancy and that too despite being mostly in single-screens,” Sony Pictures Entertainment managing director Kercy Daruwala told IANS over phone from Mumbai.
Surprisingly for a Hollywood film, “Angels & Demons” did not release in most of the multiplexes despite having topped the US box office with opening weekend collections of $48 million.
On being asked if it was due to the ongoing producers, distributors and multiplex strike, he said: “The multiplexes did not come to terms with us for revenue sharing of the film and so we couldn’t release it there despite wanting to. But it has got nothing to do with the strike. We have however released in a few multiplexes across the country.”
A prequel to the 2006 hit “The Da Vinci Code”, “Angles & Demons” is an adaptation of best-selling author Dan Brown’s religious-mystery book by the same name.
Directed by Ron Howard, the film also stars Ayelet Zurer and Ewan McGregor apart from Hanks, who reprises his role as Harvard professor and religious expert Robert Langdon.
In the film, Langdon attempts to thwart the Illuminati, a 400-year-old underground organisation and their plans to wreak havoc on the Vatican.
The movie, like “The Da Vinci Code”, also faced the ire of church officials for its portrayal of the Catholic Church globally.
Earlier slated for a May 15 release, on the same date as in the US, it got delayed due to the censor board and marketing problems.
- 'Angels and Demons' to be released in four languages May 29 - May 18, 2009
- Indian fans will enjoy 'Angels & Demons': Tom Hanks - May 03, 2009
- Ewan McGregor in talks for Angels & Demons - Apr 25, 2008
- Single screen theatres resurface to tell Vidya's 'Kahaani' - Apr 03, 2012
- No intimate scene with Ayelet Zurer disappoints Tom Hanks - May 13, 2009
- Third sequel to 'The Da Vinci Code' announced - Apr 22, 2009
- 'Cocktail' clicks with youngsters, gets about 90 percent opening - Jul 13, 2012
- Vatican poised to boycott Tom Hanks-starrer Angels & Demons - Mar 24, 2009
- Tom Hanks forced to cut sex scenes from new movie due to time limit - May 13, 2009
- Hollywood films facing the heat in producers v/s multiplexes fight - May 07, 2009
- Vatican to boycott 'Angels and Demons' - Mar 24, 2009
- Angelina Starrer Salt Collects 7.8 Crore In First Week In India - Jul 28, 2010
- Mixed Response For Aisha - Aug 14, 2010
- 'Khatta Meetha' goes sweet at single screens, sour at multiplexes - Jul 26, 2010
- The making of new Pakistani cinema - with help from India - Aug 09, 2012
Tags: angels and demons, ayelet zurer, church officials, da vinci code, dan brown, english hindi, ewan mcgregor, expert robert, harvard professor, hollywood film, illuminati, multiplexes, mystery book, prequel, religious expert, robert langdon, ron howard, sony pictures entertainment, tom hanks, underground organisation