‘Angels and Demons’ to be released in four languages May 29May 18th, 2009 - 7:58 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 18 (IANS) Tom Hanks-starrer “Angels and Demons”, which is currently on the top spot at the US box office, will release in India May 29 in four languages - English, Hindi, Tamil and Telugu.
The much-anticipated movie, which is an adaptation of Dan Brown’s religious-mystery book by the same name, is a prequel to “The Da Vinci Code”.
According to a recent report by imdb.com, the movie topped the US box office with an opening weekend of $48 million. Sony Pictures Entertainment, the distributors of the movie, are expecting a good response from the Indian market too.
“An action thriller, the film is a perfect entertainer for the summer and we hope to see crowds coming back to the cinemas in large numbers,” Sony Pictures Entertainment managing director Kercy Daruwala said in a statement.
Directed by Ron Howard, the film also stars Ayelet Zurer and Ewan McGregor apart from Hanks, who reprises his role as Harvard professor and religious expert Robert Langdon.
In the film, Langdon attempts to thwart the Illuminati, a 400-year-old underground organisation and their plans to wreak havoc on the Vatican.
The movie, like “The Da Vinci Code”, has faced the ire of church officials for its portrayal of the Catholic Church.
Though the film was to release May 15, on the same date as in the US, it got delayed due to the censor and marketing problems.
“We are hopeful of getting the censor certificate in the next few days and then after the censor process we’ll take a few more days to clear the three dubbed versions of the movie. We also need some more time to drive our marketing campaign to its fullest potential so as to perform well at the box office,” Daruwala added.
- 'Angels & Demons' rakes in Rs.19 mn in India over 1st weekend - Jun 01, 2009
- Indian fans will enjoy 'Angels & Demons': Tom Hanks - May 03, 2009
- Angelina Starrer Salt Collects 7.8 Crore In First Week In India - Jul 28, 2010
- Jolie sprinkles Rs.78 mn worth 'Salt' on Indian box office - Jul 27, 2010
- Ewan McGregor in talks for Angels & Demons - Apr 25, 2008
- 'Tintin' earns Rs.7.35 crore, highest Spielberg grosser in India - Nov 14, 2011
- The Karate Kid Garners Rs. 45 Million In India - Jun 15, 2010
- 'Karate Kid' grosses Rs.45 mn in opening weekend in India - Jun 14, 2010
- Now '...It's Love in Bihar' for Rajat Kapoor, Vinay Pathak - Sep 07, 2011
- Hindus censure "Angels and Demons" movie - May 02, 2009
- Vatican to boycott 'Angels and Demons' - Mar 24, 2009
- No intimate scene with Ayelet Zurer disappoints Tom Hanks - May 13, 2009
- Who doesn't know about Bollywood: Tom Hanks (Interview) - Jul 10, 2011
- Third sequel to 'The Da Vinci Code' announced - Apr 22, 2009
- Congress demands ban on 'Kya Super Kool Hain Hum' in Goa - Aug 16, 2012
Tags: action thriller, angels and demons, ayelet zurer, church officials, da vinci code, dan brown, english hindi, ewan mcgregor, expert robert, harvard professor, illuminati, marketing campaign, mystery book, prequel, religious expert, robert langdon, ron howard, sony pictures entertainment, tom hanks, underground organisation