Angelina Jolie ‘deeply troubled’ by deaths in SomaliaApril 19th, 2010 - 10:14 pm ICT by IANS
Geneva, April 19 (DPA) US actress Angelina Jolie said Monday she was concerned by the increasingly heavy impact of conflict in Somalia on civilians.
“I am deeply troubled by the complete and utter disregard for human life in Somalia,” said Jolie, a goodwill ambassador for the Geneva-based UN refugee agency (UNHCR).
Noting that civilians - particularly in the capital Mogadishu - were facing increasing threats, Jolie called for fighters to stop waging wars in residential areas.
UNHCR has termed Somalia’s situation as “one of the worst humanitarian crises in the world today with half the population in urgent need of humanitarian assistance”.
According to the agency’s figures, there are more than 1.4 million Somalis displaced inside the country and some 570,000 live as refugees in neighboring countries.
Somalia has been beset by unrest since the 1991 ouster of dictator Mohamed Siad Barre.
Over 20,000 people have died in an insurgency triggered in early 2007 after Ethiopia invaded and ousted the Islamist regime in charge at the time. Islamist militias now control large swaths of land in the country over which the weak, Western-backed central government has limited authority.
- Actress Angelina Jolie calls for safety in Somalia - Apr 20, 2010
- UN deplores killing of Somali refugee leader at Kenya camp - Jan 01, 2012
- 20 dead in Mogadishu fighting - Jun 19, 2010
- Iran willing to help resolve Somali crisis - May 28, 2011
- Al-Qaeda linked group claims Mogadishu suicide blasts - Sep 10, 2010
- Somali insurgents ban UN mine agency - Dec 18, 2009
- 10 dead in suicide blast at Mogadishu airport - Sep 09, 2010
- Roadside bomb kills eight in Somalia - Sep 01, 2010
- 9,000 displaced in Somalia violence - May 27, 2012
- Politicians among 60 dead in Somalia clashes (Second Lead) - Aug 24, 2010
- 10 politicians among 42 dead in Somalia clashes (Lead) - Aug 24, 2010
- Four peacekeepers killed in Somalia - Aug 30, 2010
- 26 die after attack on Somali parliament - May 17, 2010
- Al-Shabaab militants withdraw from Somali capital - Aug 07, 2011
- 30,000 Syrian refugees cross into Lebanon: UN - Jul 20, 2012
Tags: actress angelina jolie, angelina jolie, capital mogadishu, central government, conflict in somalia, dictator, goodwill ambassador, humanitarian assistance, humanitarian crises, insurgency, militias, mohamed siad barre, ouster, refugee agency, residential areas, siad barre, somalis, us actress, utter disregard, world today