Andy Richter joins Conan’s teamJune 2nd, 2009 - 7:42 pm ICT by GD
Andy Richter is returning to late night television. And how! The talented funny guy is returning to the late night slot, making a comeback with old pal Conan O’Brien. On Monday night O’Brien took over the “Tonight Show” from previous anchor Jay Leno. O’Brien now has his friend to accompany him in presenting the show.
Andy Richter is getting back with Conan O’Brien on a regular after a gap of almost 9 years. Though he will assay the role of the “side kick”, NBC refrains from using that term of address in their press announcement. Richter is being introduced simply as the announcer and comedy contributor for the show.
Andy Richter’s guest appearance on “Andy Richter controls the Universe” on the “Tonight show” is a further step to showcase the amazing on screen chemistry that O’Brien and Richter share. Richter’s first day on the show, illustrated the promise of a long term. With Richter’s foray into the “Tonight Show” it looks like O’Brien is gearing up for a full fledged war against David Letterman.
Richter’s earlier stint at the “Tonight Show” was almost on the lines of Ed McMahon’s role of the faithful side kick. Ed McMahon was announcer for the show when it was hosted by Johnny Carson. In an interview in 2002, Ed had said that he enjoyed his work all the more only because Carson let him do things his way. The purpose for him to be on the show was to offer a counterpoint, a different opinion, thrown in with a bit of humor. In this, he had never faced any objection from Carson.
- Leno's 'Tonight Show' Ratings Below Conan's: Worst Summer Ever - Sep 07, 2010
- Conan O'Brien's Talk Show "Conan" Beats Other Late Shows Ratings - Nov 10, 2010
- Emmy Nominations Give Jay Leno A Miss This Year - Jul 09, 2010
- Conan O'Brien Criticizes Jay Leno Over 'The Tonight Show' Mess - May 03, 2010
- Conan O'Brien all set to replace Leno - May 31, 2009
- "Tonight Show" with Conan O'Brien - Jun 02, 2009
- The Ratings Of 'The Tonight Show' Have Been Far From Impressive This Summer - Sep 07, 2010
- The Tonight Show's ratings drop despite having Jay Leno on board - Sep 07, 2010
- Conan O'Brien New Late Night Show Opened With A Grand Inaugural Episode - Nov 10, 2010
- Will Jerry Seinfeld take over hosting duties from Conan O'Brien for 'The Tonight Show'? - Dec 21, 2009
- No Emmy nomination for Jay Leno & Letterman, however Conan gets nominated - Jul 08, 2010
- Jay Leno back to hosting 'The Tonight Show' - Mar 03, 2010
- Conan O'Brien Comes Back With TBS New Show "Conan" - Nov 09, 2010
- Conan O'Brien to bid farewell to NBC soon - Jan 19, 2010
- Talk show host Conan O'Brien gets 45 million dollar payout - Jan 22, 2010
Tags: Andy Richter, andy richter controls the universe, conan o brien, counterpoint, david letterman, ed mcmahon, fledged war, foray, funny guy, guest appearance, jay leno, johnny carson, late night television, night slot, press announcement, refrains, screen chemistry, side kick, stint, tonight show