Andy Gray and Richard Keys In Sexism Row Over Sian MasseyJanuary 24th, 2011 - 6:26 pm ICT by GD
By Ranjan Bhaduri
Jan 24, (THAINDIAN NEWS) Sky Sports’ Richard Keys and Andy Gray have landed into a sexism row for their controversial comments meant for Sian Massey, an assistant referee. The duo discussed among them whether she was aware of the offside rule as she ran the line in the Wolves-Liverpool game which took place Saturday. They were not aware that the microphone was not switched off. Richard Keys said that someone should explain what is offside to the lady. To this, Andy Gray the former Rangers and Scotland star said “Can you believe that? A female linesman. Women don’t know the offside rule.” Richard Keys supported him and made some other comments which are anything but decent!
This was Sian Massey’s second Premiership game. The veterans say that she did not violate the offside rule at all when she ran the line. She kept the flag down which was the right thing to do. Not realizing what their comments can land them into, Richard Keys and Andy Gray also took a sarcastic dig at the West Ham vice chairman Karren Brady who wrote on sexism in a newspaper column on the same day. The exchanges between the duo was not broadcast but it made its way to a reputed media entity and as expected the news was leaked online pretty soon.
A Sky Sports spokesperson tried to evade the topic when contacted. The duo who criticized the referee was lambasted by the Fare Network. The entity which campaigns against gender discrimination in Sports said the view expressed by them was “appalling and damaging sexist attitudes”. Richard Keys was caught in similar fiasco last year too.
- Sky Sport's presenters forced to apologise over 'sexist comments' during football match - Jan 24, 2011
- Capello backs female officials in football amidst sexism row - Jan 26, 2011
- Sky Sports presenter apologises for UK soccer sexism row - Jan 25, 2011
- Sky News 'sexist row' presenters close to joining Al Jazeera TV - Jan 29, 2011
- Sky Sports 'sexism row' presenters sign Talksport radio deal - Feb 09, 2011
- Sky Sports football presenter Richard Keys resigns over role in sexism scandal - Jan 27, 2011
- Crowd gives sexism-row referee Massey unwelcoming chants on return to Premier League - Feb 14, 2011
- Sky Sports football presenter Keys' wife defends his sexist jibes as "boys' banter" - Jan 28, 2011
- Sky Sports sacks football pundit Andy Gray over 'unacceptable' sexist behaviour - Jan 26, 2011
- Now, ex-footie commentator Keys facing racism charge for labelling black player 'choco' - Feb 14, 2011
- Now, Ferguson embroiled in sexism row over 1994 letter to female physio - Feb 14, 2011
- Andy Gray to Sue Sky Sports for £3M - Jan 27, 2011
- Sacked Andy Gray is planning to sue Sky Sports for £3m - Jan 27, 2011
- New Zealand PM John Key stands by 'hot' Liz Hurley comment - Feb 02, 2011
- World's first live 3D sporting event to be screened on Sunday - Jan 28, 2010
Tags: andy gray, assistant referee, controversial comments, discrimination in sports, fiasco, flag down, former rangers, gender discrimination in sports, jan 24, karren brady, massey, newspaper column, offside rule, ranjan, richard keys, sexist attitudes, sky sports, vice chairman, west ham, what is offside