Andy Garcia reflects on freedom in new filmApril 19th, 2012 - 10:45 am ICT by IANS
Mexico City, April 19 (IANS/EFE) Cuban-born actor Andy Garcia said here that his new film, “For Greater Glory”, speaks about those people who are ready to die for freedom if it’s taken from them, and he added that this right is human beings’ most precious asset.
“Nobody wants a war, but when they take away the right to that basic freedom from someone, especially people who have a deep faith, it turns out there are people who are ready to die for that freedom,” said the artist at a press conference.
“For Greater Glory” discusses Mexico’s 1926-29 Cristero War, a conflict started by groups of Catholics against the measures of president Plutarco Elias Calles to exclude the church from public life.
Garcia plays Gen. Enrique Gorostieta Velarde, the protagonist of the film directed by Dean Wright and which makes its debut in Mexican theaters Friday.
Despite the fact that the film tells a story that happened in Mexico and was shot in that country, its focus is international and it was done in English to be able to reach a larger audience.
“For Greater Glory” will debut in the US June 1.
- Andy Garcia thrilled about shooting in Mexico - Apr 14, 2012
- Eduardo Verastegui, an actor with a mission - Sep 20, 2012
- Andy Garcia lines up financing for Hemingway film - May 17, 2012
- Andy Garcia to direct film about Hemingway - Mar 05, 2012
- Film must talk about violence: Mexican actor - Sep 09, 2011
- Andy Garcia feels duty to help young actors - Aug 18, 2011
- Latino film fest kicks off in New York - Aug 16, 2011
- Two die as chopper crashes on Mexican street - Oct 22, 2011
- Cuba develops anti-arthritis drug - Feb 17, 2011
- US indicts two for trafficking jaguar pelts - Aug 31, 2011
- Argentina wins best short film award at Panama fest - Aug 08, 2011
- Actor Garcia Bernal prefers comedy - Feb 16, 2012
- Mexican revolutionaries' great-granddaughters pose for Playboy - Jan 21, 2010
- `Ticket to Paradise' takes top prize at Havana Film Fest New York - Apr 17, 2011
- Police chief gunned down in Mexico - Jul 02, 2012
Tags: actor andy garcia, andy garcia, born actor, catholics, conflict, dean, dean wright, debut, efe, elias, freedom, greater glory, human beings, measures, mexico city, new film, plutarco, precious asset, protagonist, theaters