Andy Garcia feels duty to help young actorsAugust 18th, 2011 - 12:13 pm ICT by IANS
New York, Aug 18 (IANS/EFE) Andy Garcia feels it is his duty to support the young generation of Latino actors who are getting started in the film industry, a commitment that led him to produce the independent film “Magic City Memoirs”.
The film will be shown this week at the New York International Latino Film Festival (Nyilff).
“For me, it’s a duty and a privilege to transmit to the young generation the wisdom of someone who got it butting heads over the years and that relationship fills me with pride and stimulates me,” the Cuban-American said in an interview with EFE in New York.
The actor, who Thursday will be honoured at the Nyilff event, decided to collaborate on the low-budget film that tells the story of three teenage friends who lead frenetic lives in Miami after visiting his daughter, actress Dominik Garcia-Lorido, on the set.
“I saw that they had captured a generation in a really real and honest way, besides the important message of what can happen when you live an irresponsible life,” said Garcia.
The film is directed by Aaron J. Salgado, the son of Peruvian immigrants who, like Garcia, grew up in Miami, where he filmed the story of the three high school buddies, Mikey, Angel and Stok, who live life to the maximum.
“Independent film is extremely important because it’s an original voice that is always born from the passion of a story. Making a film outside the system that finds distribution is a great success for the kids,” said Garcia.
- Latino film fest kicks off in New York - Aug 16, 2011
- NY film festival honours `Maria My Love', `El regreso' - Aug 23, 2011
- Andy Garcia skips watching daughters' stripping scenes - Mar 14, 2010
- Andy Garcia thrilled about shooting in Mexico - Apr 14, 2012
- Andy Garcia lines up financing for Hemingway film - May 17, 2012
- Andy Garcia to direct film about Hemingway - Mar 05, 2012
- Jon Secada calls himself a `workingman of music' - Feb 15, 2012
- Film must talk about violence: Mexican actor - Sep 09, 2011
- Julianna Margulies Appears In "The Late Show With David Letterman" - Mar 10, 2010
- Actress Lupe Ontiveros dies - Jul 28, 2012
- Nayer grateful to Pitbull for career boost - May 04, 2012
- Pitbull `very surprised' by Lindsay Lohan lawsuit - Aug 26, 2011
- Ricky Martin happy with family, return to Broadway - Feb 14, 2012
- Estefano relives shooting in a song - Jun 12, 2012
- Olga Segura, Hector Jimenez shine in `White Knight' - Aug 17, 2011
Tags: andy garcia, budget film, butting heads, cuban american, efe, film industry, film magic, frenetic lives, immigrants, independent film, international latino film, latino actors, latino film festival, low budget, magic city, new york international latino film festival, school buddies, teenage friends, young actors, young generation