Andrew Garfield almost turned down ‘The Social Network’ roleDecember 28th, 2010 - 5:00 pm ICT by ANI
London, Dec 28 (ANI): Andrew Garfield has admitted that he almost turned down the chance to star in ‘The Social Network’ - because he thought making a movie about social networking site Facebook was a ‘crazy’ idea.
The British actor has received a Golden Globe nomination for his portrayal of Eduardo Saverin in the critically acclaimed movie, which is tipped to pick up nods at the 2011 Oscars.
Garfield said he was reluctant at first to sign up because he could not understand why anyone would want to make a film about a website.
“I said, ‘A film about Facebook, really?’ I thought that makes absolutely no sense… My first reaction was the same as everyone else. I didn’t understand what that film could be. I had images of people typing for the most part!…,” the Daily Star quoted him as saying.
“But as soon as I knew David Fincher (director) and Aaron Sorkin (screenwriter) were involved I thought, ‘They’re pretty smart so maybe it’s not that crazy an idea’. I read the script and I was blown away,” he added.
Garfield admitted that he is pleased the film was being recognised during awards season.
“It’s very special that people have responded to it with positivity and passion. The response is icing on top of icing that tastes very sweet and very nice,” he said. (ANI)
- Aaron Sorkin Awarded For Best Screenplay At the 68th Golden Globe Awards - Jan 17, 2011
- Andrew Garfield didn't expect 'The Social Network' to be exciting at first - Jan 23, 2011
- Garfield expected 'The Social Network' to be dull - Jan 24, 2011
- Sean Parker Talks 'The Social Network' And Justin Timberlake's Character - Oct 03, 2010
- "The Social Network" Gets A Mixed Reaction - Oct 02, 2010
- 'Inception', 'Social Network' bag Writers Guild awards - Feb 07, 2011
- "The Social Network" Creates Waves At Box Office - Oct 03, 2010
- Justin Timberlake all set to prove his acting prowess - Oct 28, 2010
- Aaron Sorkin wins best screenplay golden globes for 'The Social Network' - Jan 17, 2011
- Cameron Winklevoss Talks About 'The Social Network' - Oct 03, 2010
- Eduardo Saverin's Story In "The Social Network" - Oct 03, 2010
- Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg braces for 'The Social Network' - Oct 03, 2010
- 'Sarah Palin's Alaska' branded a 'snuff film' - Dec 09, 2010
- 'The Social Network' storms national board of review - Dec 04, 2010
- 'The Social Network' bags National Critics Award - Jan 10, 2011
Tags: aaron sorkin, blown away, british actor, crazy idea, daily star, david fincher, facebook, garfield, golden globe nomination, images of people, london, nods, oscars, passion, portrayal, positivity, screenwriter, social networking site