Andhra High Court clears ‘The Dirty Picture’December 1st, 2011 - 8:44 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Dec 1 (IANS) Clearing decks for the release of the much-publicised “The Dirty Picture”, the Andhra Pradesh High Court Thursday dismissed a writ petition by the kin of late southern actress Silk Smitha seeking a ban on the movie.
Justice Vilas V. Afzalpurkar dismissed the petition of Silk Smitha’s brother V. Naga Varaprasad Rao, who wanted the court to stop the film’s release.
The petitioner objected to the way his late sister was portrayed in the film. He also claimed that the filmmakers never took the family’s consent for making the film on Silk Smitha.
The court dismissed the petition after the filmmakers clarified that the film was not based on the life of the actress. The Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC) also conveyed to the court that there is no scope for the court to review the decision of the censor board as the filmmakers themselves have denied that the film was based on Silk Smitha’s life.
Starring Vidya Balan and produced by Balaji Telefilms, “The Dirty Picture” is set to be released across the country Friday.
Directed by Milan Luthria, the film also stars veteran Naseeruddin Shah, Emraan Hashmi and Tusshar Kapoor.
Varaprasad earlier told the court that the censor board did not respond to his notice, and urged it not to clear the movie.
He claimed Smitha, played by Vidya Balan, was portrayed as a woman of loose character through obscene scenes.
He also said that the private life of his elder sister was different from what it is being portrayed in the film.
Silk Smitha, whose real name was Vijayalakshmi, hailed from Andhra and played sleazy roles in many south Indian films in 1980s.
The actress, who acted in over 200 films, allegedly committed suicide in 1996 at the age of 36.
- Court asks police to book Vidya Balan for obscenity - Dec 08, 2011
- ' 'Dirty Picture' needn't have been banned in Pakistan' - Dec 02, 2011
- For TV, Balaji sends revised version of 'The Dirty Picture' - Jul 11, 2012
- I'm not ready to make wedding album: Vidya Balan - Aug 03, 2011
- Vidya in bolder avatar in 'Dirty Picture' - Feb 03, 2011
- Simpleton to sexy siren: Vidya Balan goes ooh la la! - Aug 31, 2011
- Shobhaa De predicts awards for Vidya (Movie Snippets) - Dec 02, 2011
- 'Desi Boyz' gets A-certificate, Rohit Dhawan disappointed - Nov 23, 2011
- Vidya Balan Becomes The Hot Choice For Portraying Real Life Characters! - Dec 09, 2010
- Bollywood woman power: Vidya, Ekta carry the baton - Dec 09, 2011
- As sultry as it gets-Vidya in 'The Dirty Picture' - Aug 26, 2011
- 'Dirty Picture' not a formal biopic - Nov 04, 2011
- I wasn't uncomfortable with bold scenes: Vidya - Aug 30, 2011
- Bengali version of 'Dirty Picture' stalled, Rakhi upset (Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- If kissing is a way to remember me, so be it: Emraan Hashmi (Interview) - Sep 06, 2011
Tags: actress silk smitha, andhra pradesh high court, balaji telefilms, elder sister, emraan hashmi, film certification, filmmakers, naga, naseeruddin shah, petitioner, private life, publicised, rao, silk smitha, south indian films, tusshar kapoor, vidya balan, vijayalakshmi, vilas, writ petition