Ancient royal burial chamber found in EgyptSeptember 1st, 2008 - 12:20 pm ICT by ANI
Cairo, September 1 (ANI): Egyptian archaeologists have uncovered the burial chamber and coffin of King Senusret II, who was believed to have ruled Egypt from 1897 BC to 1878 BC.
The burial chamber was found in Al Lahun, the town built by Senusret, which became Egypts political capital during the 12th and 13th dynasties, and where the king built his pyramid.
The coffin is made of pink granite and the burial chamber is lined with red granite, said Ahmed Abdel Aal, head of antiquities in Fayum, south of Cairo.
The team also discovered corridors and passageways inside the pyramid built to mislead thieves, he added.
Wooden parts belonging to the kings boat were also found as well as alabaster and ceramic containers decorated with hieroglyphs.
Senusret II was known for launching major irrigation projects in the Fayum area, turning vast areas of marshland into cultivable land. (ANI)
- Archaeologists find burial chamber of 4,000-year-old Egyptian queen - Mar 04, 2010
- Headless Egypt king statue could give clues to Cleopatra's tomb - Nov 19, 2010
- Attempt to steal pharaoh's statue foiled in Egypt - Feb 25, 2011
- Sixth Dynasty Egyptian Queen's Burial Chamber Unearthed Near Cairo - Mar 04, 2010
- Headless Egypt king statue could give clues to Cleopatra's tomb - May 20, 2010
- Now, a robot to unravel mysterious tunnels in Great Pyramid at Giza - Aug 08, 2010
- 4,000-year-old tomb found in Egypt - May 29, 2012
- 3,500-year-old burial chamber discovered in Syria - Sep 21, 2009
- Christianity in Egypt started 200 years earlier than thought - Nov 30, 2010
- Pyramid builders were labourers, not slaves, reveal newly found Egyptian tombs - Jan 11, 2010
- Egypt unearths 4,500-year-old tomb - Oct 19, 2010
- Egypt Ramesses II temple found in Upper Egypt - Jul 16, 2010
- Colourful ancient tombs unearthed in Egypt - Jul 08, 2010
- Tomb of King Tut's wife may emerge in 2011 - Jan 04, 2011
- Ancient Egyptian priest's tomb discovered in Giza - Oct 19, 2010