‘Ananda Thaandavam’: Sheer waste of time (Tamil Film Review)April 11th, 2009 - 5:39 pm ICT by IANS
Film: “Ananda Thaandavam”; Direction: A.R. Gandhi Krishna; Cast: Tamanna, Sidharth, Rukmini; Music: G.V. Prakash; Cinematography: Jeeva Shankar; Rating: *
The title “Ananda Thaandavam” means blissful dance. In the movie, there is neither bliss nor any worthwhile dance.
Worse, it seems like a film that hit the screen two and a half decades late.
Based on an 80s’ novel “Pirivom Sandippom” (Parting, Meeting) by the late Tamil writer Sujatha (real name Rangarajan who wrote under his wife’s name) serialised in a Tamil periodical, the story would have formed the basis of some television soap with proper treatment.
Fiction serials in Tamil magazines had a suspense ending to keep its fans interested in the next week’s episode.
Movie grammar has evolved since the 80s and therefore, the offering has few takers.
A mild-mannered romantic youth Raghu (Sidharth) falls for a spoilt brat Madhu (Tamanna) who flits off to the El Dorado called USA in search of greener pastures with a richer guy Rishi in tow.
Raghu stalks his ex, manages to convince her again before bumping into another non-resident-Indian belle with strong Hindu cultural values played by Rukmini leading to a silly, contrived, insipid climax.
One does not understand as to why Tamanna has been featured as a mentally deranged character while it was not inbuilt into the original story.
To compound matters, she overacts. Sidharth is as expressive as a log of wood.
Prakash’s music drags the 160-minute film and Jeeva Shankar’s dreary filming increases the torture.
- Vikram's 'Thaandavam' role inspired by real life character - Sep 06, 2012
- 'Ananda Thandavam' to hit screen on April 10 - Apr 07, 2009
- Vikram dedicates 'Thaandavam' role to Daniel Kish (With Images) - Sep 12, 2012
- Southern actress Tamanna to endorse Fanta (With Images) - Apr 20, 2012
- Jeeva's 'KO' Got Postponed, Will Release In December - Oct 20, 2010
- Movie Stills: Vareva - Nov 01, 2010
- 'Janoo' - weak, but worth one time watch (Kannada Movie Review) - Jun 02, 2012
- 'Sarathi'- a sure shot winner (Kannada Movie Review) - Oct 01, 2011
- '18th Cross' - not worth the wait (Kannada Movie Review) - Aug 04, 2012
- Amy Jackson treats 'Thaandavam' team at her home - Jun 20, 2012
- 'Anandatandavam' in Ugadi fray - Mar 14, 2009
- Jeeva Becomes A Father! - Oct 18, 2010
- 'Rowthiram' too long to be entertaining (Tamil Movie Review) - Aug 14, 2011
- Shankar Finds His 3 Idiots - Oct 14, 2010
- Vijay and Mahesh Babu To Do '3 Idiots' - Oct 20, 2010
Tags: cinematography, compound matters, cultural values, el dorado, gandhi, greener pastures, krishna, minute film, periodical, prakash, rangarajan, rishi, sheer waste, spoilt brat, tamil film, tamil magazines, tamil writer, television soap, waste of time, writer sujatha