Amrita Rao: “Voting For The First Time Was An Exhilarating Experience”May 2nd, 2009 - 11:05 am ICT by Sampurn Wire
By Subhash K Jha
Shocking as it may sound,Amrita Rao who has been in two of the most successful films of the decade –Farah Khan’s Main Hoon Na and Sooraj Barjatya’s Vivah and whose success rate and iconic status is certainly higher than most of her contemporaries, was not asked to part of Karan Johar-Tarun Mansukhani’s Vote Aapke Haath Mein Hai campaign.
When asked about this surprising omission Amrita laughs away the query. “You’ll have to ask them why I wasn’t part of it.”
Amrita, it would seem, has antagonized the Johar-Chopra’s by refusing to do Bachna Ae Haseenon. She a was offered the role that Minissha Lamba finally did.
Says Amrita, “I won’t say I’m tired of playing the sweet girl nextdoor who looks at life each day with wide-eyed wonder. But I do crave for a change of image. In my next release Short Cut I play a very glamorous girl. For the first time I’m being dressed up by Manish Malhotra. That does say something about the characters I’ve played so far. So yes I declined Bachna Ae Haeseenon . I couldn’t relate to the character.”
No one says no to a Yash Chopra presentation. Amrita’s behaviour was secretly described as “high-handed” and “reckless”.
And now she was refused a place among Bollywood’s 30-minus icons in Karan Johar’s voting-awareness film although everyone from Kareena Kapoor to Ritesh Deshmukh featured in it.
Not that Amrita was brooding over being left out. On Thursday Amrita Rao voted for the first time. So excited was she by the prospect of casting her vote that she reached the polling booth even before the gates had opened.
“At 7 am I was the first voter at the booth in the municipal school in Mahim.I feel so proud of being able to vote for the first time. I keep looking at the black mark on my finger proudly. For years I envied that tell-tale mark on my parents’ finger.”
Amrita’s chosen candidate had to fulfil three prerequisites. “He had to be well-educated, young though not inexperienced, and without a criminal background.”
Interestingly she says she attained a voting consciousness from a electorally-galvanizing website jaagore.com. -Sampurn Media
- I felt proud voting for first time: Amrita Rao - May 02, 2009
- Response to "Don 2" better than expected: Kunal Kapoor - Dec 23, 2011
- Kissing scene is like shooting action sequence: Ranbir - Sep 25, 2011
- 'Student...' not releasing with 'Joker': Karan Johar - Jan 25, 2012
- Ranbir, Deepika share amicable equation: Ayan Mukherjee - Sep 23, 2011
- 'Agneepath' will now release on Republic Day Jan 26 - Sep 16, 2011
- B-Town excited about Karan Johar's birthday bash - May 23, 2012
- Ranbir, Deepika to romance again on big screen! - Sep 21, 2011
- My comment on Ranbir, Katrina was said in good humour: Deepika - Nov 18, 2010
- Karan Johar overwhelmed by birthday messages - May 25, 2010
- I am not a good actor: Hrithik Roshan - Jan 23, 2012
- Actress for Punit Malhotra's next not finalised yet - Jul 08, 2012
- I have tasted blood, now don't know what next: Karan Johar - Jan 28, 2012
- Hrithik-Priyanka get passionate for 'Agneepath' - Jan 20, 2011
- My 'Agneepath' has little resemblance to original: Hrithik - Aug 30, 2011
Tags: amrita rao, bollywood, chosen candidate, contemporaries, farah khan, fulfil, girl nextdoor, karan johar, kareena kapoor, mahim, malhotra, minissha lamba, omission, polling booth, ritesh deshmukh, subhash, success rate, sweet girl, vivah, yash chopra