Amnesty activists held at U2 gig in RussiaAugust 26th, 2010 - 9:48 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Aug 26 (IANS/RIA Novosti) At least two activists of human rights group Amnesty International were arrested while distributing flyers at a concert of Irish rock band U2 in Moscow, a report said Thursday.
According to Ekho Moskvy radio station, police also closed information desks set up by Amnesty International, Greenpeace Russia and the ONE Campaign, an international aid organisation, despite an earlier agreement with the U2 management.
Police said the volunteers staged an “unsanctioned” rally.
During the concert Wednesday night, Russian rock veteran and well-known Kremlin critic Yuri Shevchuk was invited on stage to join the Dublin four-piece in a rendition of Bob Dylan classic “Knocking On Heaven’s Door”.
Shevchuk, who spoke out against Russian Prime Minister Putin in May, attracted media attention Sunday when he played on stage in front of some 2,000 people at an environmental protest rally in central Moscow.
Greenpeace Russia said U2’s management was unsure how to react to the police activity, since this is the first time such a thing has happened at one of the band’s gigs.
Tuesday, U2 lead singer Bono met Russian President Dmitry Medvedev in the Black Sea resort city of Sochi. Besides music, they discussed various social and charity activities that Bono and his musicians are involved in.
- Amnesty urges Russia to respect right to protest - Dec 09, 2011
- U2's gig In Moscow Shut Down - Aug 30, 2010
- Church activists protest Moscow gay film fest - Apr 28, 2012
- 28 detained in Moscow after unsanctioned rally - Jun 13, 2011
- Russia, US may not agree on missile defence in Obama's tenure: US envoy - May 28, 2011
- When Putin preached radio station on 'Freedom of Speech' - Jan 19, 2012
- Russia may evacuate personnel from Syria if attacked - Jul 29, 2012
- Key Russian websites hacked, down on election day - Dec 04, 2011
- Russia, Ukraine reach pact in sea border talks - Jun 05, 2011
- Gay rights activists detained in Moscow - May 28, 2012
- Russia, US to have three-year multiple entry visa soon - May 28, 2011
- A race in Moscow would benefit F1: Fisichella - Jun 06, 2012
- Russian government not open enough: Medvedev - Apr 18, 2012
- Stalin grandson sues Moscow radio station - Mar 25, 2011
- 100 detained at Moscow rally - Mar 06, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,