Amjad Ali Khan, Zakir Hussain fail to win GrammyFebruary 1st, 2010 - 11:41 am ICT by IANS
Los Angeles, Feb 1 (IANS) Ace music composer A.R. Rahman scooped two awards at the 52nd Annual Grammy Awards ceremony here, but Ustad Amjad Ali Khan and Ustad Zakir Hussain, who were also nominated, could not manage to win the golden gramophones.
Sarod maestro Ustad Amjad Ali Khan, who was nominated in the best traditional world music album category for his album “Ancient Sounds”, lost out to “Douga Mansa” by African Kora player Mamadou Diabate.
Tabla player Ustad Zakir Hussain, who was nominated in the best classical crossover album category for his album “The Melody of Rhythm” that features works by Leonard Slatkin, Bela Fleck, Hussain and Edgar Meyer (Detroit Symphony Orchestra), also did not win. He had won a Grammy last year for his collaborative album “Global Drum Project”.
The best classical crossover album award went to “Yo-Yo Ma & Friends: Songs Of Joy And Peace”.
Rahman was honoured for his compositions in Danny Boyle’s rags-to-riches film “Slumdog Millionaire”, getting the awards for best compilation soundtrack for a motion picture and “Jai ho” being the best motion picture song. Rahman shares the Grammy with lyricist Gulzar who penned “Jai ho”.
- Will India repeat Oscar glory at Grammy's? - Jan 31, 2010
- Will Slumdog, Rahman & Jai Ho's Oscar success be repeated at Grammy's? - Feb 01, 2010
- Beyonce top winner at Grammy's with six awards (Roundup) - Feb 01, 2010
- Ustad Amjad Ali Khan gets Grammy nomination - Dec 03, 2009
- Chandrika Krishnamurthy Tandon loses Grammy - Feb 14, 2011
- A. R Rahman bags two Grammy awards - Feb 01, 2010
- 'Slumdog Millionaire', 'Jai Ho' bag Grammy nominations - Dec 02, 2010
- 'Jai ho' Rahman at Golden Globe nominations again (Lead) - Dec 14, 2010
- Golden boy Rahman does it again with double Grammy (Lead) - Feb 01, 2010
- Lady Gaga, Eminem bag top honours at Grammys (Roundup) - Feb 14, 2011
- A.R. Rahman gets two Grammy nominations for 'Slumdog...' - Dec 03, 2009
- AR Rahman wins 2 Grammy's at the Grammy Awards 2010 - Feb 01, 2010
- Golden boy Rahman makes India proud with double Grammys (Roundup) - Feb 01, 2010
- Gulzar on Grammy nomination of Jai Ho - Dec 08, 2009
- Rahman, Gulzar, Tanvi share Grammy for 'Jai ho' - Feb 01, 2010
Tags: ace music, amjad ali khan, ancient sounds, bela fleck, classical crossover album, collaborative album, danny boyle, detroit symphony orchestra, edgar meyer, grammy awards ceremony, kora player, leonard slatkin, mamadou diabate, rags to riches, traditional world music, ustad amjad ali khan, ustad zakir hussain, world music album, yo yo ma, zakir hussain