Amitabh refrains from personal comments on ‘Aarakshan’June 13th, 2011 - 8:30 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 13 (IANS) Big B is playing safe! To avoid any controversies, the megastar refused to pass any personal comment on the issue of caste-based reservations in Indian society when he came down to the capital Monday to promote his film “Aarakshan”.
“I would not like to make any personal comment about the issue. I am not into politics and I won’t like my comments to be made into a political debate,” Amitabh told reporters here.
“Aarakshan”, a Prakash Jha directorial, deals with the perils of caste-based reservation in India, and its resulting corruption in the education system of the country. Since it is a sensitive issue in the nation, Amitabh thought it best to reserve his comments.
However, he shared what his movie character Prabhakar Anand, a school principal, feels about the issue.
“My character, Prabhakar Anand has the thought that everyone should get an opportunity… but after that if a person has the merit, we should recognise it. And this is the thought that has been highlighted in the film,” he said.
Meanwhile, Jha, known for films like “Shool”, “Apaharan” and “Raajneeti”, said it is tough to take a firm stand on the reservation issue.
“It is very tough to say if a person is for or against reservation. One has to think from both sides,” he said.
“Aarakshan”, releasing Aug 12, also features Saif Ali Khan, Deepika Padukone, Manoj Bajpayee and Prateik Babbar.
- After 'Vande mataram', Prakash Jha uses 'Vaishnav jan to' - May 30, 2011
- 'Aarakshan' about controversial reservation policies (IANS Preview) - Aug 08, 2011
- RPI activists attacked my home, office: Prakash Jha (Lead, changing dateline) - Aug 06, 2011
- Prakash Jha's office, home attacked for 'Aarakshan' - Aug 06, 2011
- Prakash Jha agrees to changes in 'Aarakshan' - Aug 11, 2011
- Our prayers are with Soniaji: Amitabh Bachchan - Aug 06, 2011
- 'Aarakshan' mints Rs.58 crore in first week, Jha elated - Aug 19, 2011
- Nitish Kumar is a simple and modest man: Big B - Aug 04, 2011
- Madras High Court stays release of 'Aarakshan' - Aug 08, 2011
- A 'school' with Saif as music teacher, Big B as principal - Jul 29, 2011
- Dalit group angry over Saif's role in 'Aarakshan' - May 13, 2011
- 'Aarakshan' gets clean chit from censors - Jul 19, 2011
- I don't believe in the caste system: Amitabh Bachchan (Interview) - Jul 18, 2011
- Big B calls Prakash Jha 'Khatron Ka Khiladi' - Jun 04, 2011
- I strive to bring understanding, not change: Prakash Jha (Interview) - Jun 21, 2011
Tags: apaharan, babbar, caste, controversies, corruption, deepika padukone, education system, manoj, megastar, New Delhi, perils, personal comment, personal comments, political debate, prabhakar, prakash jha, refrains, saif ali khan, school principal, sensitive issue