Amitabh, Ram Gopal Varma burnt in effigy for ‘twisting’ national anthemMay 9th, 2009 - 3:12 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, May 9 (IANS) Activists of the Lok Janshakti Party (LJP) burnt effigies of director Ram Gopal Varma and Amitabh Bachchan here for “dishonouring” the national anthem in their movie “Rann”.
Hundreds of LJP members gathered around Albert Ekka roundabout here Saturday morning and burnt effigies of Varma and Amitabh. They also shouted slogans against them.
Ram Gopal Varma has tinkered with the national anthem “Jana Gana Mana” in “Rann”.
“We cannot tolerate twisting of the national song. It is dishonour of the national song and country. We are planning to file a Public Interest Litigation in the High Court seeking banning of the movie,” said Jitendra Singh, an LJP leader who participated in the protest.
“We will not allow screening of the movie in Bihar and Jharkhand if the national song which has been twisted is not removed from the movie,” he added.
- Ram Gopal Varma hasn't done anything punishable, say lawyers - May 20, 2009
- Ram Gopal Varma twists national anthem for 'Rann' (With Images) - May 06, 2009
- Supreme Court directs Censor Board to solve Rann's issue case within a month - May 25, 2009
- Varma replaces 'Jana Gana' with 'Vande Mataram' in 'Rann' - Dec 07, 2009
- Supreme Court frowns upon 'Jana Gana Mana Rann' (Lead) - May 25, 2009
- 'Rann' of business and conscience in media (IANS Preview) - Jan 26, 2010
- Freedom is remote-controlled in India: Filmmaker Varma - Jan 22, 2010
- India's national anthem completes a century (Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
- 'Rann' director to move apex court against censor ruling - May 13, 2009
- Raima Sen episode was blown out of proportion -Ram Gopal Varma - Jan 27, 2010
- Indian national anthem completes 100 years - Dec 27, 2011
- Amitabh's eyes said it all: Kannada actor Sudeep - May 24, 2009
- Music Review of Rann (2010) - Jan 16, 2010
- Sanjay's tribute to Big B with 'Thodi si jo pi li hai' - Apr 21, 2012
- National anthem becomes disabled-friendly - Dec 27, 2011
Tags: activists, amitabh bachchan, bihar, effigies, effigy, jana gana mana, jharkhand, jitendra, lok, national anthem jana gana mana, protest, public interest litigation, ram gopal varma, ranchi, saturday morning, slogans