Amitabh in fresh trouble over Uttar Pradesh farmlandOctober 24th, 2009 - 1:06 am ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Oct 23 (IANS) Bollywood megastar Amitabh Bachchan seems headed for fresh trouble over a controversial plot of farmland in Daulatpur village of Barabanki district that he purchased last year.
The 1.383 hectare plot in Daulatpur, about 40 km from here, has been gifted to a proposed college named after his actress daughter-in-law Aishwarya Rai.
Amitabh had last year gifted two parts of the land to the local ‘gram sabha’ or village council after he found himself in the thick of a major controversy and court battles on account of ownership of the land.
However, it was reported Friday that Amitabh had “gifted” the entire piece of land to the college.
A local village head, Raj Kumari Singh, has decided to challenge Amitabh’s giving away the land to the college.
She said: “A land once gifted to a gram sabha cannot be gifted to anybody else.”
Singh termed the latest land gift, executed through the superstar’s local power of attorney in Barabanki Friday, as “illegal”. She said, “I will file a formal objection against the move, which is violative of Uttar Pradesh land laws.”
The Bachchan family laid the foundation stone of the college on Jan 27, 2008, at a high-profile bash in the village where they also flew in prominent politicians like Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav, his Man Friday Amar Singh, former Andhra Pradesh chief minister Chandrababu Naidu and former Kashmir chief minister Farooq Abdullah.
- Plea for criminal case against Amitabh Bachchan - May 29, 2010
- Petition against Amitabh Bachchan dismissed - Jun 11, 2010
- Ban sale of agricultural land to non-farmers: Goa panel - Sep 09, 2011
- Amitabh 'gifts' land to village council for girls college - Nov 01, 2009
- Bachchan to face police probe over Barabanki land - Jun 01, 2010
- I feel exonerated: Amitabh Bachchan - Jun 12, 2010
- Amitabh again buys agricultural land in Uttar Pradesh - Jun 27, 2010
- Lucknow court summons Jaya Bachchan - Jan 24, 2011
- Bachchan gets caught in 'Bhojpal' row - Mar 12, 2011
- Court stays Subhash Ghai's Haryana land deal - May 29, 2012
- Chiranjeevi's son ties knot with Upasana - Jun 14, 2012
- Jaya Bachchan files Rajya Sabha papers from Uttar Pradesh - Mar 17, 2012
- Mulayam renominates Jaya Bachchan to Rajya Sabha - May 26, 2010
- Forced land acquisition will be Mayawati's Waterloo: Jayant Chaudhary (Interview) - Feb 27, 2012
- Hubdreds of Uttar Pradesh villages flooded - Aug 02, 2011
Tags: actress daughter, aishwarya rai, amar singh, amitabh bachchan, andhra pradesh, court battles, farmland, formal objection, foundation stone, kashmir, kashmir chief minister, kumari, local power, local village, man friday, mulayam singh, naidu, party chief, power of attorney, sabha