Amitabh gets court notice on tax exemptionMay 4th, 2009 - 8:30 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 4 (IANS) Bollywood megastar Amitabh Bachchan Monday got a notice from the Supreme Court on a plea challenging a judicial verdict allowing 30 percent tax rebate on his income to the tune of Rs.509 million in fiscal 2001-02.
A bench of Justice S.H. Kapadia and Justice Aftab Alam sought Bachchan’s stand on the lawsuit by the union government’s Income Tax Department.
The bench also asked the actor to account for his 2001-02 income and expenditure with appropriate proof and adjourned the matter for final hearing on Oct 28.
The case largely pertains to the actor’s income from the popular TV game show “Kaun Banega Crorepati” on Star TV.
The Bombay High Court had allowed the actor to avail the tax relief accepting his plea that as an artist he was entitled to the exemption as per section 80 RR of the Income Tax Act.
The Income Tax Department, however, challenged the high court ruling contending that section 80 RR of the IT Act grants tax rebates only to those artistes who earn either by performing outside the country or receive payment from foreign agencies.
The tax authorities have contended that the TV show was produced by Indian firm Star India Ltd. that renders him ineligible for the tax rebate.
- SC issues notice to 'Big B' on IT petition - May 04, 2009
- Court questions Big B, Sony TV on show promos - Jul 05, 2011
- Big B teams up with Shillong Chamber Choir - Sep 04, 2012
- Amitabh wins 'distinguished personality' award - Jun 15, 2011
- Gujarat court allows I-T officials to move apex court - Oct 13, 2010
- Big B to host IPL 5 opening ceremony - Mar 19, 2012
- Sony TV to host Big B's birthday bash - Oct 08, 2010
- CBI to examine Mayawati's plea to close graft case - Apr 23, 2010
- Shahid, Sonam on KBC (Movie Snippets) - Aug 23, 2011
- Other countries now aping KBC's innovative concepts: Amitabh - Aug 30, 2012
- I'm ordinary and ignorant: Amitabh - Dec 27, 2011
- 'Kaun Banega Crorepati' mock ramp to tour 22 cities (With Images) - Jul 30, 2011
- Case against Mayawati in disproportionate assets adjourned - Aug 30, 2010
- Bihar's Sushil Kumar first to win Rs.5 crore on KBC-5 - Oct 25, 2011
- 'Riwayat' a film on female foeticide by doctors - Sep 03, 2012
Tags: aftab, alam, amitabh bachchan, bombay high court, crorepati, income and expenditure, income tax act, income tax department, india ltd, kapadia, megastar, popular tv, star tv, tax authorities, tax exemption, tax rebate, tax rebates, tax relief, tv game show, union government