Amitabh enjoys gondola ride after 30 yearsMay 8th, 2009 - 9:53 pm ICT by IANS
Macau (China), May 8 (IANS) It was in 1979 that Amitabh Bachchan enjoyed a gondola ride on the famed waterways of Venice for a song sequence in a Hindi film - and 30 years later the Bollywood superstar relived the ride Friday, but this time in Macau!
“After Venice, I have experienced a gondola after 30 years at the Venetian Macau. It was an enchanting experience. I sat on the gondola 30 years back to shoot the song “Do lafzon ki hai” for my film “The Great Gambler” (1979). The song for the film not only made the Venetian gondola popular, but Venice as well,” Amitabh said on the sidelines of the International Indian Film Academy (IIFA) press meet here Friday.
Directed by Shakti Samanta, “The Great Gambler” starred Zeenat Aman and Neetu Singh in the lead and had Amitabh in a double-role.
Despite the big names involved, the film did not set the cash registers ringing but got etched in audiences’ minds for its romantic songs by R.D. Burman and the picturesque locales.
“After 30 years, today IIFA is going to do the same thing to the Venetian Macau what it (the song) did to Venice then. It was a very interesting and exciting ride,” the actor said at the press conference held at the plush Venetian Macao Resort-Hotel, which will host the three-day IIFA weekend June 11-13.
IIFA aims at taking Indian cinema beyond Indian shores and this year it is celebrating its 10th year in Macau after having travelled to countries like Britain, South Africa, Singapore, Dubai and Thailand in previous years.
Amitabh is the brand ambassador for IIFA and this is the 66-year-old’s first visit to Macau. He is staying at the Venetian Macao Resort-Hotel, which covers a 100,000 square feet area and boasts of having one of the largest casinos in the world.
The IIFA weekend, organised by Wizcraft Entertainment Pvt Ltd and to be sponsored by Videocon, is expected to draw over 500 luminaries from the Indian film industry.
- Bachchan's riding high - May 09, 2009
- Indian cinema best example of national integration: Amitabh - May 08, 2009
- IIFA 2009 goes to China - Apr 28, 2009
- Riteish Deshmukh, Boman Irani are IIFA hosts again - May 18, 2009
- Amitabh Bachchan no longer IIFA brand ambassador - Jan 17, 2011
- Venice's gondoliers criticised for singing "culturally deficient" songs - Oct 05, 2010
- Rajesh Khanna to receive IIFA lifetime achievement award - May 30, 2009
- Lifetime achievement award honour for Rajesh Khanna at IIFA 2009 - Jun 01, 2009
- Macau to host Star Parivaar Awards - Feb 17, 2011
- Aishwarya to perform at IIFA again (With Image) - May 29, 2009
- It's back to Singapore for IIFA this year - Apr 24, 2012
- Big B's magnificent king size suite at Macao during IIFA 2009 - May 29, 2009
- Venetian Macau resort to target Indian tourists - Sep 18, 2009
- Vancouver bids to host IIFA in 2013 - Nov 14, 2011
- Now IIFA wants to organise 'weekend' for southern industry - Dec 02, 2011
Tags: amitabh bachchan, britain south, enchanting experience, film academy, great gambler, hindi film, indian cinema, indian film industry, macau china, neetu singh, r d burman, romantic songs, shakti samanta, song sequence, square feet area, venetian macao resort, venetian macao resort hotel, venetian macau, videocon, zeenat aman