Amitabh Bachchan pays farmers’ debtMay 12th, 2012 - 10:57 pm ICT by IANS
Wardha (Maharashtra), May 12 (IANS) Superstar Amitabh Bachchan came to the rescue of 90 farmers in Maharashtra’s Wardha district as they were Saturday given cheques to repay their debt.
Cheques would be delivered at the homes of 24 other needy farmers.
The farmers were selected from over 20 villages of the district by members of the Rotary Club of Gandhi City Wardha and Rotary Club of Mumbai. The cheques total around Rs.30 lakh, all of which was donated by Bachchan.
“When Bachchan expressed his willingness to contribute to the cause of farmers, we scrutinised the debt amount of farmers in these villages and sent a list of over 300 farmers to him,” member and past president of Rotary Club of Gandhi City Wardha Mahesh Makolkar told IANS.
He said that after the list was sent to Bachchan, representatives from his side visited these villages and verified the information. They also narrowed down the list to 114, he said.
“Around 90 farmers were handed over the cheques at a ceremony here Saturday. We have arranged to deliver the cheques of those farmers who were unable to attend the ceremony,” Makolkar said.
There are over 900 villages in the district, out of which farmers of 22 villages were selected for the monetary help.
- UP farmers seek Big B's help to write off debts - May 16, 2012
- Five more farmers commit suicides in Vidarbha - May 01, 2012
- 3 more farmers commit suicide in Vidarbha - May 22, 2012
- Farm widows want to attend lavish wedding of Gadkari's son - Nov 29, 2010
- Vidharba farmers protest Chavan's 'peanuts' bailout package - Dec 15, 2011
- As Rahul spoke, farmer suicides continued in Vidarbha - Sep 08, 2010
- Gandhi's glasses missing from Wardha ashram - Jun 13, 2011
- Organic farming meet to be held in Gujarat - Nov 22, 2010
- Gandhi's glasses missing from Wardha ashram, probe ordered (Lead) - Jun 13, 2011
- 25 Vidarbha farmers committed suicide in a week: activist - Mar 29, 2010
- Five farmers commit suicide in Vidarbha - Sep 02, 2011
- Family quarrels lead to killings, attempted murder in Maharashtra - Jun 29, 2012
- Seven more Vidarbha farmers commit suicide in last 48 hours - Sep 08, 2011
- Forcible debt recovery from Vidarbha farmers irks high court - Dec 21, 2010
- India should be polio free in three years: Rotary International - Mar 30, 2011