American singer Andy Williams dies at age 84September 27th, 2012 - 5:01 pm ICT by BNO News
BRANSON, MISSOURI (BNO NEWS) — American singer and TV host, Andy Williams, on Tuesday died due to cancer. He was 84.
Born in Wall Lake, Iowa in 1927, Williams, born Howard Andrew Williams, might be remembered for hosting ‘The Andy Williams Show’ in the 60s and early 70s, but as a singer, he recorded three Platinum-certified albums.
Despite never being released as a single, one of his most popular songs was his version of ‘Moon River,’ which brought him nation-wide success after his performance at the 1962 Academy Awards. The song, which was written by Henry Mancini and Johnny Mercer, was originally sung by Audrey Hepburn in the movie ‘Breakfast at Tiffany’s’ and won an Academy Award for Best Song.
Williams would go on to record eighteen Gold-certified albums, as well three Platinum. Other popular songs include ‘Can’t Get Used to Losing You,’ ‘Days of Wine and Roses,’ ‘Butterfly,’ and ‘Lonely Street’ among several others.
As an actor, Williams also appeared in six movies between 1944 and 1964, as well as two documentaries in 1999 and 2009.
Williams died at his Branson, Missouri home after a year of struggling with bladder cancer. He is survived by his wife Debbie and his three children Robert, Noelle and Christian, from his first marriage to Claudine Longet.
- Actor Ben Gazzara dies in US - Feb 05, 2012
- Susan Boyle new age Audrey Hepburn? - Jul 26, 2009
- Susan Boyle's debut single still a mystery - Jul 24, 2009
- "Johnny Mercer: The Dream's On Me" Aired As Centenary Celebration On TCM - Nov 05, 2009
- Emma Thompson Finds Audrey Hepburn "Fantastically Twee" - Aug 14, 2010
- Jay Z working on a solo album - Jul 11, 2011
- Andy Williams has bladder cancer - Nov 07, 2011
- Sir Roger Moore wanted to make movie with pal Audrey Hepburn - Dec 12, 2009
- Hepburn's hairstyle named most influential ever - May 24, 2011
- Carey Mulligan hailed as 'the new Audrey Hepburn' - Feb 03, 2010
Tags: academy awards, american singer, andrew williams, andy williams show, audrey hepburn, bladder cancer, bno, breakfast at tiffany, days of wine, days of wine and roses, henry mancini, johnny mercer, lonely street, moon river, noelle, popular songs, tv host, wall lake iowa, wife debbie, wine and roses