‘American Psycho’ to be made into Broadway musicalDecember 7th, 2010 - 3:29 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Dec 7 (ANI): ‘American Psycho’ a novel by Bret Easton Ellis, which was adapted into a movie starring actor Christian Bale, is now set to be made into a Broadway musical.
‘American Psycho: The Musical’ is a story about Patrick Bateman, a fictional Wall Street banker who is obsessed with designer clothes, Phil Collins, rape and murder.
The musical has been in development since 2008 after producers David Johnson, Jesse Singer, Nate Bolotin and Aaron Ray bought the rights to adapt the 1991 novel.
“Think about Malcolm McDowell singing songs during ‘A Clockwork Orange’. He sang ‘Singing in the Rain’,” the Herald Sun quoted Duncan Sheik, the new show’s composer, comparing his musical to a brutal attack scene in the 1971 film.
Sheik, who won a Grammy and two Tonys for writing the songs in the Broadway hit ‘Spring Awakening’, and playwright Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa signed on in February and have completed the first act, with a full draft expected by early next year.
“There are murders, and they are on stage in full view of the audience,” Aguirre-Sacasa said.
“An axe and a chef’s knife will be used. I think there’s going to be a lot of blood,” he stated. (ANI)
- 'American Psycho' coming to Broadway? - Feb 04, 2010
- 'Spider-Man' musical director Taymor to be replaced by McKinley - Mar 11, 2011
- Spider-Man musical goes on a 3-week hiatus - Apr 19, 2011
- American Psycho author Bret Easton Ellis obsessed with Delta Goodrem - Aug 07, 2010
- Christian Bales American Psycho set to hit Broadway - Sep 25, 2008
- Lohan opposite porn star in thriller - Jun 14, 2012
- Von Trapp family descendants to perform in China - Jul 14, 2012
- McDowell's No.1 Platinum sells 30 million bottles - Apr 12, 2011
- 'Britain's Got Talent' winner to perform before Queen - Jun 05, 2011
- 'Batman Live' Stage Play In Development - Apr 27, 2010
- Porn star excited to work with Lohan - Jun 18, 2012
- Arnab, Clifford ruled out from AFC Challenge Cup - Mar 02, 2012
- 'Fiddler on the Roof' writer Joseph Stein dies at 98 - Oct 27, 2010
- X-factor missing from 'Murder 2' music (IANS Music Review) - Jun 02, 2011
- Harbhajan slaps legal notice on UB Group for Dhoni ad - Jul 18, 2011
Tags: aaron ray, american psycho, bret easton ellis, broadway musical, brutal attack, christian bale, clockwork orange, david johnson, designer clothes, duncan sheik, herald sun, malcolm mcdowell, patrick bateman, phil collins, sacasa, singing in the rain, singing songs, spring awakening, two tonys, who won a grammy