‘American Idol’ named top ‘TV money-spinner’ by ForbesMarch 19th, 2011 - 4:56 pm ICT by ANI
London, March 19 (ANI): A survey by Forbes magazine has revealed that reality show ‘American Idol’ has made more money from advertising revenue than any other US TV show in 2010.
The singing contest raked in an estimated 7.1m dollars (4.4m pounds) every half hour during its last series.
Far behind in second place was Charlie Sheen’s former comedy show ‘Two and A Half Men’, with 2.9m dollars (1.8m pounds).
Data was taken from Kantar Media, who surveyed all regular prime time shows, excluding sports events.
‘American Idol’ 2010 figures were down 1m dollars (620,000 pounds) on the previous year.
Simon Cowell was still on the judging panel in the last series, accompanied by Ellen DeGeneres, Kara DioGuardi and Randy Jackson.
Following Sheen’s sacking from ‘Two and A Half Men’, it remains to be seen whether the show can continue to generate as much revenue, Kantar’s Jon Swallen said.
“The show is built around the interplay between two contrasting characters,” the BBC quoted Swallen as saying.
“If you remove one, it fundamentally makes it a different show. If it comes back on the air there will be a curiosity factor but after a few episodes it will have to rise or fall on its own merit,” Swallen added. (ANI)
- American Idol Judge's Panel to be released Wednesday - Sep 20, 2010
- Justin Timberlake on 'American Idol'? - Jul 28, 2010
- J.Lo, Stephen Tyler to judge 'American Idol' - Sep 23, 2010
- "American Idol" Sacks Kara DioGuardi? - Jul 31, 2010
- 'American Idol' Season 10, Day 1 Review: Change Of Judges - Jan 20, 2011
- "American Idol" Season 10 Kicks Off With New Judges - Jan 20, 2011
- Sir Elton John finds 'American Idol' boring - Oct 20, 2010
- "American Idol" Premieres Tonight With New Judges - Jan 19, 2011
- J.Lo set to become 'American Idol' judge - Sep 14, 2010
- J.Lo 'out of running as judge for 'American Idol' after diva act' - Aug 12, 2010
- Steven Tyler Of 'Aerosmith' Purportedly Enrolls Himself In 'American Idol' As Its Judge - Aug 19, 2010
- Kara DioGuardi to make Broadway debut with 'Chicago' - Jun 20, 2011
- Lopez Out As 'Idol' Judge On Account Of Her Demands - Aug 12, 2010
- Katy Perry Eyes Permanent "American Idol" Judge Position - Jan 29, 2010
- Kara DioGuardi to judge reality show 'Going Platinum' on Bravo - Oct 28, 2010
Tags: 9m, advertising revenue, american idol, charlie sheen, comedy show, different show, ellen degeneres, forbes magazine, interplay, kara dioguardi, london march, money spinner, randy jackson, simon cowell, singing contest, sports events, swallen, top tv, tv money, two and a half men