Amarnath yatra suspended againAugust 12th, 2008 - 3:52 pm ICT by ANI
Jammu, Aug 12 (ANI): The Amarnath Yatra was suspended again on Tuesday due to bad weather in the Baltal and Pahalgam areas of South Kashmir.
According to police officials, the pilgrimage was suspended and no batch was being sent to the shrine from Jammu.
The last batch of the pilgrims will leave from here on August 14.
The yatra was earlier suspended on Monday due to inclement weather.
It began on June 17 and will end on August 16.
Security forces have been put on a high alert along the entire route of the pilgrimage to ensure the safety of the pilgrims.
The security set-up consists of area domination and setting up of mountain posts by Army, deployments of CRPF and mobile patrolling by armed police.
Every year a large number of devotees trek the steep, slippery 48-km route to reach the Amarnath cave shrine, which stands at a height of nearly 12,500 feet above sea level. (ANI)
- 12,000 pilgrims arrive for Amarnath Yatra - Jun 24, 2012
- Annual Amarnath yatra begins (Lead) - Jun 24, 2012
- Heavy rain disrupts Amarnath pilgrim's movement - Jun 25, 2012
- Thousands trek to Amarnath cave for prayers (Lead) - Jun 29, 2011
- Bad weather halts Amarnath pilgrimage (Lead) - Jul 01, 2011
- Around 500,000 perform Amarnath Yatra - Jul 16, 2012
- Thousands reach Kashmir base camps for Amarnath Yatra (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2011
- Thick snow cover posing new risk to Amarnath pilgrims - Jun 22, 2012
- Home ministry reviews situation ahead of Amarnath Yatra - Jun 11, 2012
- Preparations begin for Amarnath pilgrimage - Mar 21, 2012
- Amarnath yatra begins - Jun 28, 2011
- Bajrang Dal group stopped from going to Amarnath base camps - May 13, 2012
- 100 post offices to register for Amarnath yatra: SASB - Apr 30, 2012
- 600,000 pilgrims perform Amarnath Yatra - Jul 25, 2011
- Amarnath Yatra interrupted due to bad weather - Jul 04, 2010
Tags: amarnath cave, amarnath yatra, armed police, army deployments, bad weather, crpf, devotees, domination, feet above sea level, inclement weather, kashmir, pahalgam, pilgrimage, pilgrims, police officials, security forces, south kashmir, trek