All about the ‘birth’ of Lady GagaMarch 4th, 2011 - 1:28 pm ICT by ANI
London, March 04 (ANI): A new book has revealed how Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta became world’s biggest and most outrageous pop star, Lady Gaga.
‘GaGa’, by Johnny Morgan, features previously unseen photos, probes her early life and reveals the singer’s inspiration came from the Brit glam rock stars in her dad’s record collection, English disco and a soul mate steeped in Ziggy Stardust and glitter balls.
The Italian-American fame monster from New York tried many things but her early performances owed nothing.
Disappointed GaGa moved back to the family home on the Upper West Side of Manhattan for Christmas 2006.
This proved a turning point as she made a new friend in the underground bars of the Lower East Side.
“The cross-dressers, drag queens, art students and artists who travelled through tunnels and over bridges from Queens and Brooklyn for a truly special night out in the Lower East Side felt like her kind of people,” the Sun quoted Morgan as writing.
“Meeting someone who was a soulmate, an innovator, mover, shaker and trend-setting glam-girl DJ proved that. Her name was Lady Starlight and the first night they met, GaGa put a ten dollar note into Starlight’s bra - with her teeth.
“Lady Starlight, a smart, Seventies-obsessed former art student, was at the forefront of the Lower East Side performance art scene.
“Lady Starlight could - and would - teach Lady GaGa a lot, not only about the kind of musical acts which GaGa hadn’t heard her father play as she grew up. But also about the kind of cutting-edge, dramatic, brave entertainers and artists who inspired so many people into changing their lives. Just like Lady GaGa was changing hers.”
They met at Lady Starlight’s “English Disco”.
Starlight recalled: “When we met she ran up to me and we instantly connected. Lady GaGa was in awe of what I was doing and asked me to be on stage with her. We then started blending ideas.
“At the time she was already working on her album and a lot of what’s on The Fame were songs that we’ve performed. We worked on these acts for Lady GaGa and The Starlight Revue, which had GaGa rocking the keyboard and me on beats. We also did go-go dancing and performances that featured disco balls and hairsprays being lit on fire.”
In 2007 Lady GaGa and Lady Starlight were booked to perform at the Lollapalooza festival, Chicago. GaGa appeared in a mirrored bikini top, short shorts and thigh high stockings.
Morgan wrote: “The Lollapalooza festival offered wholesome music, business-endorsed and supported entertainment, which is why GaGa earned her first police citation there, for public indecency.
“It was handed to her by a Chicago policeman before she got on stage. ‘There are children around here’, he’d told her. Naturally, she was amazed. ‘There’s a huge festival with people doing drugs and he’s busting me!’”At her school, the upmarket Convent of the Sacred Heart, the young Stefi had shown an enthusiasm for showing off her flesh. GaGa once said: “I was very naughty, wore awful things to school. I used to roll my skirt up really high so the nuns didn’t know what to do with me.”
By 2007 Lady Starlight had set Lady GaGa in a new direction.
She said later: “Fashion and attitude and style, that’s what we breathe for. It’s a party.
“Everything my friends made fun of me for is what people want more of. More sequins, more spandex, yes please!” she added. (ANI)
- Lady Gaga is still daddy's girl, reveals new book - Mar 05, 2011
- Meet the woman who inspired Lady Gaga - Feb 22, 2010
- Lady Gaga 'forced female aide to shower with her and sleep by her side' - Sep 15, 2010
- Lady Gaga will headline festival in Carlisle - Mar 31, 2011
- 'Namaste', tweets Lady Gaga after arriving in Delhi - Oct 28, 2011
- Gaga to perform on stage worth $150,000 - Apr 28, 2010
- Scantily Clad Lady Gaga Crowd Surfs At Lollapalooza Festival - Aug 10, 2010
- Lady GaGa Steps Out In Gravity – Defying Shoes Teamed With Revealing Dress - Dec 06, 2010
- Simpsons cameo was nerve-wrecking, says Gaga - May 22, 2012
- Dancing to Indian tunes with an American soul (Feature) (With Image) - Jul 06, 2012
- Lady GaGa Rebuffed By Top Chinese Designer! - Dec 02, 2010
- Lady Gaga talks about safe sex and her egg 'Rebirth' - Feb 18, 2011
- I just love the male sexuality, says Lady GaGa - Nov 27, 2009
- Lollapalooza Rumored, Or Leaked, Lineup Announced - Feb 18, 2010
- Lady Gaga Shocks With Fishnet Outfit At Lollapalooza 2010 - Aug 07, 2010
Tags: art scene, art student, art students, cross dressers, dollar note, drag queens, innovator, lady gaga, lady starlight, london march, lower east side, musical acts, new friend, performance art, rock stars, soul mate, soulmate, unseen photos, upper west side, ziggy stardust