Alesha Dixon set to become ‘Stricty Come Dancing’ judgeJune 19th, 2009 - 6:16 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 19 (ANI): Former ‘Stricty Come Dancing’ winner Alesha Dixon is reportedly all set to replace Arlene Phillips as a judge on the show to lure young audience.
Apparently, the show’s bosses are squeezing out Philips from the show, but the BBC has refused to confirm reports that it has ended its contract with the 66-year-old choreographer.
However, insiders have said that the bosses feel that 30-year-old Dixon is the right person to boost the show’s appeal to younger viewers.
Alesha, the pop star and former model, was dubbed the “British Beyonce” by 81-year-old host Bruce Forsyth
And sources are hoping that she can help the BBC win ratings from rival ITV show ‘The X Factor’, where Girls Aloud star Cheryl Cole is a judge.
“There is always speculation. Two months ago they were reporting that I was going to take over from Brucie. But once you are part of Strictly Come Dancing you are part of the family and I do feel that about the show,” the Daily Express quoted Alesha as saying.
While a BBC spokeswoman said that reports about the singer taking over from Phillips were “purely speculation”, she did not deny the claims outright.
She said: “We can’t confirm anything about the new series of Strictly yet, but we are always looking at ways to maximise viewers’ enjoyment of our shows.”
Phillips, on the other hand, declined to comment on her future with the show.
Meanwhile, fellow judges Craig Revel Horwood, 44, Bruno Tonioli, 53, and Len Goodman, 65, might stick with the show’s next series launches in September. (ANI)
- Arlene Phillips 'not replaced due to age' - Feb 11, 2011
- Liza Minnelli to replace Alesha Dixon on 'Strictly Come Dancing'? - Jan 28, 2010
- Alesha Dixon to turn Strictly Come Dancing judge - Jul 09, 2009
- Sharon Osbourne, Richard Madeley 'quit Strictly Come Dancing over fee cuts' - Jul 29, 2009
- 'Get tough' ultimatum for Strictly Come Dancing judge Alesha Dixon - Apr 26, 2010
- X Factor beats Strictly Come Dancing in ratings war - Sep 21, 2009
- Princess Beatrice wants 'Strictly Come Dancing' - Nov 14, 2011
- DWTS: Quick, Fast and Jiving - Sep 27, 2011
- Alesha Dixon turned away from Funky Buddha nightclub - Nov 26, 2009
- Stars Perform Their Best To Woo The Judges In "Dancing With The Stars" Episode 9 - Nov 16, 2010
- Sharon Osbourne signs up for 'Strictly Come Dancing' - Apr 24, 2009
- Cheryl doesn't need 'The X Factor': Arlene Phillips - Jun 13, 2011
- Bruce Forsyth fuels feud with Louis Walsh - Dec 06, 2010
- Dancing With The Stars Recap: Guess Who's Back On Top? - Nov 03, 2010
- Alesha Dixon gets proposed by Takomborerwa Mnzarura during BGT - Feb 21, 2012
Tags: alesha dixon, arlene phillips, bbc, beyonce, bruce forsyth, brucie, bruno tonioli, cheryl cole, choreographer, daily express, fellow judges, former model, insiders, itv, len goodman, pop star, revel, speculation, spokeswoman, x factor