Akshay starrer ‘Khatta Meetha’ takes a dig at corruption (IANS Preview)July 19th, 2010 - 9:18 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 19 (IANS) After tickling the funny bones of their fans with “Hera Pheri” “Garam Masala” and “Bhool Bhulaiyaa”, the hit pair of director Priyadarshan and actor Akshay Kumar is back for the sixth time with yet another light-hearted outing, “Khatta Meetha”, which releases Friday.
While their previous films were slapstick comedies, “Khatta Meetha” takes a dig at the corruption and bribery.
“Our country is said to be a growing superpower with the fastest growing economy, but we still do not have good roads because of corruption in our system. This film is a message to people involved in the system…,” said Akshay.
Produced by Shree Ashtavinayak Cine Vision Ltd and distributed by DreamWorld Searchlight Pictures, “Khatta Meetha” is a remake of Priyadarshan’s 1988 Malayalam film “Vellanakalude Naadu”. It will also launch southern actress Trisha in Bollywood.
The star cast of the film also includes Makrand Deshpande, Johnny Lever, Rajpal Yadav, Aroona Irani and Milind Gunaji.
Akshay’s character in “Khatta Meetha” is modelled on R.K. Lakshman’s iconic Common Man cartoon character.
The movie revolves around a struggling road construction contractor, Sachin Tichkule (Akshay), who dreams big but his dreams never come true as he doesn’t have enough money to bribe the ‘babus’. To make matters worse, the new municipal commissioner turns out to be his ex-girlfriend Ganpule Madam (Trisha), who now hates him.
“It’s my first Hindi film and I can’t expect to have everything that appeals to me. It’s definitely not a film where I am singing and dancing around trees. But it’s good enough for a launch and Priyan has projected me very well. Akshay’s comedy would be the highlight of the film,” Trisha had told IANS.
The movie has had its share of controversies too. Akshay found himself in the midst of a furore after he visited the ailing Laxman. Some believed it was a promotional tactic for his film. But Akshay later clarified saying he was invited by Laxman’s family.
“Khatta Meetha” has also made headlines over a controversial song titled “Bullshit”, which takes potshots at corrupt politicians.
However, the actor said: “We are not taking names of any individual or political party in the track. We are just commenting about corruption.”
- 'Khatta Meetha' goes sweet at single screens, sour at multiplexes - Jul 26, 2010
- No dancing around trees in 'Khatta Meetha': Trisha (Interview) - Jul 01, 2010
- Movie Review: Khatta Meetha (2010) - Jul 23, 2010
- Akshay Kumar rides bicycle to promote his upcoming film - Jul 17, 2010
- Akshay Kumar Not Comfortable Doing Hollywood Films - Jun 14, 2010
- Bollywood's Akshay Kumar promotes upcoming film in Mumbai. - Jul 12, 2010
- 'Khatta Meetha', a satirical swipe at corruption (Hindi Film Review, Rating: ***) - Jul 24, 2010
- Movie Review: Khatta Meetha(2010) - Jul 24, 2010
- Khatta Meetha Track "Bull Shit" Hits Out At Corrupt Politicians - Jun 24, 2010
- Priyadarshan busy as bee, thanks to new projects - Aug 30, 2012
- Akshay Kumar scouting for serious roles - Jul 16, 2010
- Trisha Krishnan's Brush with Bollywood - Jun 14, 2010
- 'Khatta Meetha' actress Trisha to star opposite Prateik Babbar - Jul 25, 2010
- After Akshay Kumar Trisha Krishnan Signs Opposite Pratik Babbar - Jul 23, 2010
- After Akshay, Trisha to star opposite Prateik Babbar (Lead) - Jul 25, 2010
Tags: actress trisha, akshay kumar, aroona irani, ashtavinayak, babus, cartoon character, corruption and bribery, funny bones, good roads, johnny lever, lakshman, laxman, milind gunaji, municipal commissioner, previous films, priyadarshan, priyan, rajpal yadav, slapstick comedies, vision ltd