Akon’s princely pastNovember 5th, 2010 - 3:52 am ICT by IANS
London, Nov 5 (IANS) Singer-rapper Akon used to pretend he was an African prince while he was at school in a bid to attract girls.
The singer split his time between Senegal and America while growing up and admits he would play on his African roots as a teenager, by claiming to be royalty so as to impress girls.
“When I was 17, I thought I was the flyest thing on the planet. Of course, I still had my African roots so I would wear dashikis that kinda matched my jeans, I think I was a young hustler at that time, I told everybody, I’m a prince!” contactmusic.com quoted Akon as saying.
“People just didn’t know any better so they believed that we were princes from Africa,” said Akon’s brother Omar.
Akon got the idea from the classic Eddie Murphy movie “Coming to America”, a comedy about a misplaced African prince trying to make his way in America.
- I'm waiting to get into Bollywood movies: Akon - Apr 15, 2011
- Mel B all set to launch her reality series - Oct 24, 2010
- No nine to five for Nicki Minaj - Nov 15, 2010
- Eddie Murphy and Rocsi Diaz deny relationship - Jul 16, 2012
- Why sing in English: Honey Singh - May 08, 2012
- Happy birthday Akon, sing Indian fans - Apr 17, 2011
- Never say no to Bollywood in Senegal - Feb 13, 2011
- Mel B's kids won't follow her in showbiz - Oct 25, 2010
- Beyonce inspired Kimberley Walsh - Aug 14, 2011
- Justin Bieber Turning Prankstar From Rock Star! - Aug 04, 2010
- Chris Brown blames 'reckless' girls for leaked nude photos - Mar 18, 2011
- P. Diddy's house rule - wear slippers! - May 05, 2012
- Eddie Murphy steps down as Oscar host - Nov 10, 2011
- Indian music speaks to soul: rock icon Steven Tyler (Interview) - May 21, 2011
- Wyclef Jean shot in Haiti - Mar 21, 2011