Aishwarya Rai Bachchan named Smile Train’s First Goodwill AmbassadorNovember 2nd, 2009 - 1:34 pm ICT by Sampurn Wire
Aishwarya Rai Bachchan Lends Her Support To The World’s Leading Cleft Charity in Association With Her Own Charity Organization, The “Aishwarya Rai Foundation’
Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, hailed by many as the most beautiful woman in the world, has today been announced as the first Goodwill Ambassador for Smile Train, the world’s largest cleft charity. Recognized as one of the 100 most influential people in the world, Aishwarya will now be adding one more role to her illustrious career. She will partner with Smile Train, in association with her own charity, the Aishwarya Rai Foundation, in numerous ways to spread awareness and garner recourses to help the worldwide movement.
Using her superstar status, her high wattage personality and global reach, Aishwarya will work with Smile Train to achieve an ambitious new goal in helping change the lives of over one million children worldwide who suffer from shame and isolation because of cleft lip and cleft palate. As Goodwill Ambassador, Aishwarya will actively work to help Smile Train to provide free cleft surgery to children in 78 developing countries around the world, including India. This initiative will help raise awareness in India and around the world to the plight of children born with cleft.
Speaking in reaction to the worldwide announcement, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan mentions, “God has given me plenty of reasons to smile and I feel it’s time to spread it around. There are a lot of children out there who so desperately need help, but can’t receive timely care because their families cannot afford this surgery or are ill-educated about this condition. Working with Smile Train, if I can make a difference in their lives, it will certainly make me feel honored and blessed.”
Smile Train currently has over 150 Smile Train partner hospitals in India and has performed over 200,000 surgeries there. However, the need is great. In India alone, over one million children await surgery and currently only 50 percent of children born with cleft in India ever get the care they so desperately need. Smile Train’s reach extends beyond India, with 1100 partner hospitals worldwide working to tackle the daunting backlog of over 4.7 million children living with un-repaired clefts.
“Aishwarya’s universal appeal and star power will be a priceless asset to our organization, and we consider it a great privilege to have her represent our organization, which does such important work in every corner of the globe,” said Smile Train President Brian Mullaney. “I look forward to working with her. Her poise, intelligence and dedication to our mission will catapult the work that we do to new and exciting heights.”
- Aishwarya made goodwill ambassador of Smile Train NGO on b'day - Nov 01, 2009
- Big B wishes Aishwarya happiness, long life on b'day - Nov 01, 2009
- Operation Smile: Assam cleft-lip centre reaches out to neighbours (Health Feature) - Jun 24, 2012
- 'Smile Pinki' all set to be screened across India - Oct 02, 2009
- British doctors to treat Pakistan's cleft-lip children - Oct 21, 2011
- When Aishwarya Rai Bachchan Lost Her Bags At The Airport! - Dec 18, 2010
- Cleft-lipped Assam boy US-bound - for surgery and smile - Sep 21, 2010
- Mizoram children with cleft lips to get their smiles back - Oct 08, 2008
- Aishwarya To Adopt Two Cancer Patients For Treatment - Sep 19, 2010
- Uttar Pradesh doctor spreads smiles, and greenery - Aug 04, 2011
- Ash dedicates award to fans, family - Aug 31, 2011
- Ash breaks rule, pays Abhishek a surprise visit - Jun 13, 2010
- American virtuoso teaches violin to cleft-lipped children in Varanasi - May 12, 2010
- Blue Peter fans to donate gowns for charity work in India - Oct 21, 2009
- Aishwarya Pays Abhishek A Surprise Visit - Jun 12, 2010
Tags: aishwarya rai, aishwarya rai bachchan, beautiful woman, charity organization, cleft lip and cleft palate, cleft surgery, countries around the world, developing countries, global reach, goodwill ambassador, hospitals in india, illustrious career, one million, partner hospitals, plight of children, smile train, superstar status, timely care, worldwide announcement, worldwide movement