After ‘Saawariya’ success, composer Monty Sharma is a busy beeAugust 3rd, 2008 - 7:49 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 3 (IANS) Monty Sharma, the composer who made it big with Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s “Saawariya”, has joined the league of successful music directors and is scoring music for 21 films. “I’m composing for as many as 21 films - some will release this year and some will come out next year,” Monty told IANS.
Monty, who is also judging the reality show “Voice Of India”, added: “My days are really hectic as I have to do my regular work and judge the show. But, I have planned my days - five days for my work, one day for ‘Voice of India’ and one day for my wife.”
Talking about the success of “Saawariya”, he said: “Though ‘Saawariya’ gave me the fame and identity, I was working in the industry since a long time. After ‘Saawariya’, I have gained recognition and people have started taking me seriously. ‘Saawariya’ made a lot of difference in my life.”
Trained under his grandfather Ram Prasad Sharma, Monty started working in the industry from the age of 15 as a keyboard player. His first film as a keyboard player was “Mr. India” under the legendary music director duo Laxmikant-Pyarelal.
“Music is in my blood as I come from a family of musicians. Pyarelalji is my uncle (father’s elder brother). My father Anand Sharma was one of the best viola players of his times. My other uncle Gorukh Sharma was one of the best guitarists who played for most of the films including the famous track of ‘Aashiqui’.”
In spite of coming from a family of musicians, Monty’s entry into Bollywood has not been easy. He had to wait for almost 20 years to get his first big break.
The 37-year-old composer has worked in various capacities in the music industry. From key board player to music arrangements, to background score, he has experienced every trait of the trade.
“I started as a key board player and then gradually shifted to music arrangements. I did the first arrangement for ‘Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam’ and many other films followed later. I started background score with ‘Shatranj’, which starred Divya Bharati and went on to do the background score for many films including ‘Black’ and finally Sanjay chose me for ‘Saawariya’.”
“But the first composition that I did was for Sanjay’s ‘Bajirao Mastani’, which was later shelved.”
Monty wants to use new singers for his films and says there are a lot of talents which need to the tapped.
“The reality shows have introduced a huge number of talents. There are 800 films being made in Bollywood, so I think there is an ample scope for all of them.”
- Bajirao Mastani: Aishwarya’s Loss Is Kareena Gain! - Dec 01, 2010
- Indian music unique, why copy from West: German composer - Mar 14, 2012
- Anil Mohile's son regrets not being with him in his last hours (With Image) - Feb 06, 2012
- Pyarelal jigs to Western music! - Mar 13, 2010
- I'm planning to start a music academy: Pyarelal - Mar 11, 2010
- Independent music returning in a big way: Salim Merchant - Apr 06, 2012
- I don't think about awards while composing: Ilayaraja - Sep 16, 2010
- Mayu Ganeshan Fuses Tamil Film Ballads With Rap in 'Aappam' - Jun 23, 2010
- Working in India changed my approach towards music: Wayne Sharpe (Interview) (With Image) - Jul 31, 2011
- Translating my works for orchestra was enriching: A.R. Rahman (Interview) - Jan 20, 2012
- Gulzar Goes International - Mar 19, 2010
- "To Play The Indian National Song In My Own Way Was A Bit Dangerous For Me, Because It Could Have Become A Kiss Of Death, Had It Not Been Properly Executed In The Right Spirit"- Wayne Sharpe - Jun 18, 2010
- This 'iband' creates music on their palms (With Images) - Jul 22, 2012
- Music band dedicates 'Amitabh uncle' to Big B - May 12, 2012
- In a man's world, Shivi Kashyap aims to stand tall - Sep 22, 2011
Tags: aashiqui, anand sharma, best guitarists, busy bee, de chuke, elder brother, hum dil de chuke sanam, key board, keyboard player, legendary music, mr india, music arrangements, music director, music directors, ram prasad, reality show, saawariya, sanjay leela bhansali, successful music, viola players