Adnan’s father to be buried in IslamabadJune 24th, 2009 - 8:46 pm ICT by IANS
By Subhash K. Jha
Mumbai, June 24 (IANS) Singer Adnan Sami said his father, a prominent Pakistani diplomat, passed away in a hospital here Monday and as per his last wish the body will be flown to Islamabad to be buried near his home.
Arshad Sami Khan died from cancer of the pancreas and the funeral is to be held Friday, the singer said.
Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari and Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani are expected to attend Arshad Sami’s state funeral in Islamabad.
“He will be getting a full state funeral with a 21-gun salute. And yes, the prime minister and president are coming. My mom, son and brother are flying into Karachi from Mumbai Thursday and from there we take a connecting flight to Islamabad where the burial will take place on Friday after the Jumma prayers,” Adnan told IANS before flying off to Pakistan.
Adnan, who is of Pakistani descent but was born and brought up in Britain, has been living in Mumbai for quite some time.
His father was close to many of Pakistan’s political elite.
Early this year when Adnan’s father was down here from Houston for a holiday, he had a relapse of the cancer and was taken to Criticare for treatment. Later he was shifted to Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital.
“You know he died on my brother’s birthday. We did our best for him. My only regret is that we could spend only 15 minutes of his last moments when we could’ve been with him much longer if my dear wife (estranged wife Sabah) hadn’t chosen that morning to visit our home. But I guess god is watching,” said Adnan.
After his father’s death, Adnan immediately contacted the Indian government to allow him to fly to Islamabad.
“The Indian authorities have been exceptionally co-operative and a wonderful support to me and and my family in this hour of distress. I can’t thank them enough,” said Adnan emotionally.
- Anil and Tina Ambani are a pillar of strength, says Adnan Sami - Apr 29, 2009
- Adnan's Father's Body Being Flown To Islamabad On Thursday., Pakistan Prez and PM To Attend - Jun 25, 2009
- Adnan Sami's father passes away - Jun 23, 2009
- Let me dance and sing, says Adnan Sami after divorce - Jun 22, 2012
- Adnan, Roya ready for parenthood - Aug 27, 2012
- High Drama At Adnan Sami’s Residence On Sunday Afternoon…Ex-Wife Barges In With Lawyer ... - Jan 06, 2011
- Adnan Sami: Ex Wife Demands A Share - Jan 04, 2011
- Adnan's house confiscated, ex-wife barges in with lawyer - Jan 04, 2011
- I'm incapable of any violence: Adnan Sami - Jan 31, 2009
- ED confiscates Sami's properties, imposes Rs 20 lakh fine - Dec 27, 2010
- Adnan Sami's ex wife's petition seeking his ouster from house dismissed - Oct 27, 2010
- Adnan Sami's father critically ill - Jan 25, 2009
- Amitabh visits ailing filmmaker who gave him his first hit - May 01, 2009
- Adnan Sami overwhelmed by Bollywood concern - May 05, 2009
- Yes, I'm getting married in Europe: Adnan Sami - Jan 24, 2010
Tags: adnan sami, asif ali zardari, cancer of the pancreas, connecting flight, dear wife, gilani, gun salute, indian authorities, indian government, islamabad, last wish, mom son, pakistani diplomat, political elite, quite some time, relapse, sabah, state funeral, subhash k jha, yousuf