Adnan Sami overwhelmed by Bollywood concernMay 5th, 2009 - 9:07 am ICT by IANS
By Subhash K. Jha
Mumbai, May 5 (IANS) Visits by superstars Amitabh Bachchan and Shah Rukh Khan and then calls from Rajesh Khanna and Saira Bano to inquire about his ailing father have completely overwhelmed Pakistani singer Adnan Sami.
Adnan’s father Arshad Sami Khan, a former Pakistani diplomat, has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and is admitted to the Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital. But Adnan says he couldn’t meet either the Big B or King Khan.
“I missed both Bachchan-saab and Shah Rukh by minutes. But at least my mother was there when Shah Rukh so graciously visited with his daughter (Suhana). My father couldn’t recall the names of all the Bachchan and SRK films he had seen except ‘Veer-Zaara’,” Adnan said.
The singer says his father was happy when Shah Rukh called on him.
“Shah Rukh resembles Dilip Kumar-saab so much. And Dilip-saab, whom we call Yusuf Lala, is not just a favourite of our family but also a relative. So to us Shah Rukh is a direct descendant of Yusuf Lala’s heritage,” he added.
When Shah Rukh visited him Friday, the frail Arshad Sami could barely speak but he uttered two words - “Veer-Zaara”. This was his way of recalling the Shah Rukh film that did its substantial bit to improve relations between the two countries.
Adnan was once again surprised when he got a call from Rajesh Khanna, the first superstar of Indian cinema.
“I’ve seen his ‘Prem Nagar’ at least a million times. When he called and spoke such wonderful words of consolation - ‘God is there for everyone I’m sure he’s there for you too’ - I was overwhelmed,” said Adnan.
The other dream come true was a call from Saira Banu.
“I envy Yusuf Lala for a wife who’s so devoted and for so long.”
The Kokilabehn hospital is suddenly a beehive of Bollywood activities. On Thursday, the Big B dropped in to see Karan Johar’s mom who underwent neuro-surgery, Dimple Kapadia’s sister Simple who’s critically ill, Adnan’s father and Prakash Mehra, who gave him his first big hit “Zanjeer”.
In fact, Mehra is in an ICU close to Adnan’s father. When Adnan got to know that the veteran filmmaker was lying ill in the room next to his father’s, he did what any sensitive person would.
“I walked into Prakash-ji’s ICU to quietly take his blessings. But what do you know! He recognised me in that condition and did the popular hand movement from my song ‘Lift kara de’ with the Big B. It was his utterly endearing gesture of acknowledging me and my love for the movies that he did with the Big B. At times like these, being in the hospital is no more an acknowledgement of mortality. It becomes a celebration of life,” said Adnan.
- Adnan's Father Bonds With The Big B and Shah Rukh Over Veer-Zara - May 04, 2009
- YRF's next with SRK, Katrina goes on the floors Monday - Jan 08, 2012
- Happy Birthday Dilip saab, says Bollywood - Dec 11, 2011
- SRK on perfect holiday! (Movie Snippets) - Dec 31, 2011
- Aditi Rao is Ranbir's secret love in 'Rockstar'! - Feb 10, 2011
- Rahman talks nothing, but music: Yash Chopra - Oct 04, 2011
- Untold stories, rare pictures in Dilip Kumar's new biography - Jun 27, 2012
- It's been great since Dilip saab proposed: Saira Banu (Interview) - Aug 27, 2012
- Shah Rukh, Katrina come together for Yashraj - Jun 27, 2011
- Amitabh overwhelmed with letter from Dilip Kumar - Dec 15, 2011
- Is it hard to grow a beard? Yes, says SRK (Movie Snippets) - Nov 28, 2011
- Jagjit Singh Announces New Album At Mumbai Ghazal Concert - Dec 08, 2010
- Yash Chopra ropes in Rahman for his next - May 17, 2011
- Dilip Saheb, a colossus: Big B - May 04, 2012
- Amitabh visits ailing filmmaker who gave him his first hit - May 01, 2009
Tags: adnan sami, amitabh bachchan, arshad, dilip kumar, dimple kapadia, direct descendant, indian cinema, king khan, kokilaben dhirubhai ambani hospital, pakistani diplomat, pakistani singer, prakash mehra, rajesh khanna, saira bano, saira banu, shah rukh khan, subhash k jha, veer zaara, wonderful words, words of consolation