Actress Carey Mulligan best dressed woman of the yearNovember 5th, 2010 - 1:59 pm ICT by IANS
London, Nov 5 (IANS) English actress Carey Mulligan has beaten Victoria Beckham and Kate Moss to be named the best dressed woman of the year by Harper’s Bazaar magazine.
The 25-year-old Oscar-nominated has been admired for her style since she shot to fame in “An Education”, and wowed fashion experts at the Oscars when she wore a stunning black Prada gown covered in hundreds of jewels, reports dailymail.co.uk.
According to the magazine, her unique fashion sense has put her a cut above other style icons including Beckham, who has her own fashion line, and supermodels Moss and Yasmin Le Bon.
Explaining the decision, fashion designer Erdem Moralioglu, who was on the judging panel, said of the actress’s style: “So Sixties French New Wave - like a Godard starlet - but totally modern.”
However, Carey has previously said she’s not really that interested in fashion, explaining in a recent interview: “I was at a press conference and Woody Harrelson was answering questions about how he felt about his character.”
“I got up there, and they said, ‘What are you wearing?’ And I thought, ‘There was a time when I was an actress. Not just someone who wore dresses.’ I don’t really care that much about fashion, I just have a brilliant stylist who dresses me, and in my own life, I’m pretty simple. So that side of things has been wearing.”
Prime Minister David Cameron’s wife Samantha also featured on the list in 10th position, ahead of Gwyneth Paltrow, Stella McCartney and Sienna Miller.
It was recently announced that Samantha, who recently gave birth to daughter Florence, has become such a fashion icon that she will be enlisted to work on future fashion weeks in London, although the nature of her role is as yet unclear.
After the announcement was made, Samantha said: “London Fashion Week is extremely important to the fashion industry in the UK and I look forward to being fully involved from next season.
“We have so much young talent that needs to be supported and nurtured to ensure we are building brands and businesses for the future.”
Other judges for the Harper’s Bazaar list included milliner Stephen Jones and Harper’s Bazaar editor-at-large Kim Hersov.
- Nicole Kidman Does Not Know About Latest Fashion! - Jan 06, 2011
- Carey Mulligan: Weird Hairstyle Ruins Vintage-Inspired Fashion At Dubai Film Festival - Dec 13, 2010
- Kate Moss named best-dressed woman of decade - Nov 17, 2010
- Samantha Cameron upstaged by Victoria Beckham and Kelly Brook at British Fashion Awards - Dec 08, 2010
- Emma Watson wants her own style - Feb 22, 2012
- Victoria Beckham wants to dress Jolie - Dec 03, 2010
- Streisand flattered by Aniston's homage - Aug 06, 2010
- 'Kate Moss is a style icon' - Sep 25, 2010
- Christina Hendricks politely criticises 'big girl' critic - Oct 09, 2010
- Hudson's style icon is Kate Moss - Mar 25, 2011
- Stylists make everyone look the same: Sonam - Mar 21, 2012
- Judi Dench receives lifetime achievement award - Nov 09, 2011
- Sonam wary of 'youth style icon' tag - Jan 23, 2012
- Freida Pinto doesn't fear fashion police - May 25, 2012
- Sonam invited to Salvatore Ferragamo headquarter - Feb 16, 2012
Tags: bazaar magazine, carey mulligan, daughter florence, david cameron, english actress, fashion experts, fashion icon, fashion line, fashion sense, fashion weeks, french new wave, future fashion, gwyneth paltrow, kate moss, london fashion week, stella mccartney, unique fashion, victoria beckham, woody harrelson, yasmin le bon