Actor Garcia Bernal prefers comedyFebruary 16th, 2012 - 11:39 am ICT by IANS
Mexico City, Feb 16 (IANS/EFE) Mexican actor Gael Garcia Bernal said that comedy is his preferred genre, since it allows him to handle “with satire and good humour” controversial issues like politics and drug trafficking, which “regrettably are harming and injuring” Mexico.”Comedy is liberating and so I feel it’s suitable for being able to talk about even very painful things, like violent deaths,” said the actor at a Tuesday press conference at the presentation of the seventh edition of the Ambulante documentary film festival, which he is promoting with his colleague and compatriot, actor Diego Luna.
He added that that is why he enjoyed his role as a dangerous drug trafficker in the film “Casa de Mi Padre” (My Father’s House), which will begin showing next month.
The film, starring Will Ferrell, Garcia Bernal and Luna, tells the story of Armando Alvarez, who worked on his father’s ranch in Mexico but is going through financial problems.
Garcia Bernal acknowledged that the violence associated with drug trafficking, which has resulted in 47,000 deaths in Mexico over the past 5 1/2 years, is a matter “that in real life must be come to terms with, analyzed and treated seriously”.
However, he added that in film “you have the advantage of being able to approach (these issues) with humour or tragedy”.
- Film must talk about violence: Mexican actor - Sep 09, 2011
- Mexico's `Miss Bala' entered in Toronto film festival - Aug 18, 2011
- Mexican actor to be the new Zorro - Feb 18, 2012
- Garcia Bernal takes spotlight at Colombia film fest - Feb 26, 2012
- Roberto Duran bio-pic to begin filming in June - Apr 03, 2012
- Gael Garcia Bernal expecting baby - Sep 28, 2010
- Seven Latin American films among Golden Globe award finalists - Dec 10, 2009
- Andy Garcia thrilled about shooting in Mexico - Apr 14, 2012
- Mexican women's rights activist shot at - Dec 04, 2011
- 15 tonnes of synthetic drugs burnt in Mexico - Feb 20, 2012
- Kidnapped Mexican mayor found dead - Jun 29, 2012
- Will Ferrell feels he deserves Oscar - Mar 11, 2012
- Andy Garcia to direct film about Hemingway - Mar 05, 2012
- Mexico plans to build eight prisons - Feb 23, 2012
- Latino film fest kicks off in New York - Aug 16, 2011
Tags: armando alvarez, city feb, colleague, comedy, compatriot, controversial issues, dangerous drug, diego luna, documentary film festival, drug trafficker, drug trafficking, gael garcia bernal, good humour, mexican actor, mexico city, preferred genre, satire, tragedy, violent deaths, will ferrell