Abu Jani and Sandeep Khoslas journey from humble roots to successJanuary 26th, 2008 - 1:50 pm ICT by admin
London, Jan 26 (ANI): British Prime Minister Gordon Browns wife Sarah picked Indian designers Abu Jani and Sandeep Khosla to make ensembles for her on the couples trip to India. However, the road to international acclaim has certainly not been an easy one for the renowned designers.
Jani grew up in Bombay in the 1960s. His Muslim family ran a hardware business, which they wanted him to join.
But I knew very early on that I wanted to do something creative. I was good at drawing and I got beaten up on many occasions, in school and at home, for sketching all the time, Timesonline quoted Jani, as telling on an interview.
Khoslas family, on the other hand, were refugees from Pakistan after Partition in 1947.
They lost everything, he said.
Like Jani, his family were keen for him to join their leather business. But like his partner, Khosla knew it was not for him. He worked for the business for only six months before he decided to go it alone with fabrics rather than leather.
I bought fabrics with my stipend and, with a local tailor, I worked on ten garments made to my designs . . . and that was just a beginning, he said.
Khosla took his ten pieces of clothing and moved to Delhi to try to use them to set himself up as a designer.
Eventually they ended up as gifts because no one bought them, he said.
Meanwhile, Jani was distributing leaflets for anticorrosion paint at a filling station in Bombay.
At that point in time, a career in fashion was nowhere on the scene, he said.
Jani finally found a job with Xerxes Bhatena, a designer. Throughout the early 1980s he progressed through jobs in clothes exporting, embroidery workshops and, finally, freelance design for the women of Bombay.
That was a big thing in those days. Housewives made salwar kameez sets at home and held sales . . . I used to provide them my design sketches at a rate of 100 rupees (PS1.28) each, he said.
In Delhi Khosla was offered a small space in a clothes shop, where he began to sell his own clothing line. But that venture lasted exactly one year before I realised this was not it. I felt I was meant for bigger things. Ive always wanted to be somebody who makes a mark, he said.
He moved to Bombay and in August 1986 met Jani and, Abu Jani Sandeep Khosla was born.
When we started Abu and I had just 500,000 rupees in our pockets. We said, Its going to do what its going to do. We were never afraid of taking risks, he said.
Besides Mrs Brown, the pair has a line-up of well-known clientele, including Dame Judi Dench, Dame Maggie Smith, Darcey Bussell, the dancer, and Sophie Marceau, the actress.
In their homeland, Jani and Khosla are surrounded by the Indian Bollywood stars. In a span of nine years, they have established their first London store, their British profits have doubled, and last summer they appeared in BusinessWeeks list of the 50 most powerful Indians. (ANI)
- Sotheby's to celebrate 25 years of designers Abu Jani-Sandeep Khosla (With Image) - Jul 17, 2012
- Dimple Kapadia is our silent muse: Sandeep Khosla - Aug 18, 2012
- Big B enjoyed Indian theme at book launch - Aug 19, 2012
- Abu-Sandeep ready to work on Bollywood project (With Images) - Jul 22, 2010
- Brett Lee walks the ramp at Delhi Couture Week - Jul 26, 2010
- My mother is nucleus of my existence: Aishwarya (With Images) - Mar 23, 2012
- Big B, Judi Dench to launch Abu-Sandeep's book in London (With Images) - Aug 11, 2012
- Clothes were the real stars of Delhi Couture Week (Review) (Lead, Superseding earlier story) - Jul 26, 2010
- Abu Jani-Sandeep Khosla Prepares To Celebrate 25 Years Of Partnership - Jul 31, 2010
- Clothes real stars at Delhi Couture Week (Review) - Jul 26, 2010
- Abu-Sandeep celebrate silver jubilee in fashion industry (With image) - Aug 04, 2011
- Tabu-Amitabh to walk the ramp - Oct 06, 2009
- Sussanne Roshan opens another interior store - Mar 01, 2011
- Pearl Delhi Couture Week To Start Today - Jul 20, 2010
- Rohit Bal unhappy with designers' choice for couture week - Jun 25, 2010
Tags: abu jdistributing leaflets, british prime minister, design sketches, ensembles, filling station, hardware business, humble roots, indian designers, international acclaim, leather business, london jan, muslim family, point in time, renowned designers, rupees, sandeep, stipend, wife sarah, xerxes